sean
sean, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Master Technician.
31670004

the gear stick on my focus automatic will move but no gears

the gear stick on my focus automatic will move but no gears are engaged. The dashboard display flashes "P" regardless of which position the gear stick is in.
Category: Ford
Expert:  sean replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I hope I can offer you some assistance.
Do you know which transmission is fitted to the car? If not do you have the VIN? So I can obtain the correct details.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Wf0fd95l68vk89046
Expert:  sean replied 2 years ago.
Hello again,
the transmission is the 4F27E transmission which means there is still a mechanical link between the gear select lever and the transmission.
Start by checking that the cable hasn't come adrift from either end, your description that the flashing P is there whichever position the lever is in suggests that the cable isn't moving the transmission range sensor so the sensor is always in the P position hence the car not moving.
The cable attaches to the range sensor on the front of the transmission, have an assistant move the select lever while you check if the cable moves the range sensor, the lever that the cable it attached to bolts to the sensor so make sure if the cable is moving OK that the bolt isn't loose in the sensor allowing the lever to move but not moving the sensor.
Below shows the range sensor so you have an idea of it's location.
graphic
If the cable is OK then it may be a concern with the transmission control module not proocessing the information but unfortunately to check this would require diagnostic equipment to retreive any stored fault codes from the module memory.
Start with these points, let me know if you have more questions regarding this and I'll reply as soon as I'm able to.
Best wishes,
Sean.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Sean

I have not had time to check the cable yet, I will get back to you once I have verified if it is still connected at both ends.

Expert:  sean replied 2 years ago.
No problem, I'll keep an eye out for your reply.
Regards,
Sean.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Sean

You were correct the cable had disconnected at the range sensor. The connector was broken. I was able to get the car into drive so that I could take it to the garage for replacement of the part.

Thanks for your help