Gallagher99
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience:  SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
17855046

My 2011 Ford Mondeo will not start. There is plenty of battery

Customer Question

My 2011 Ford Mondeo will not start. There is plenty of battery power, headlights etc work fine, but it behaves as if the battery was dead. The dashboard lights up when I try to start the car but there is no response at all from the starter motor. No spinning, No engaging just silence. A replacement starter motor is exactly the same, so it is not the starter motor nor is it a flat battery. A few hours before this happened I noticed that the auto stop atrt was not working and the information panel reported charging battery.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 3 years ago.
Hi there ,good evening to you
Ok is this keyless start (power button)
Do the ignition lights go off when you press the power button with clutch down or stay on
Regards Brian
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Brian

It is not keyless. The lights go off when I turn the ignition key

Ernie

ok it makes it a bit more difficult to diagnose as you will understand and this starting system contains severaL components and is very technical and complex
we can rule out a /immobilsor issue as the ignition switches on thus the key module reads the key the only other thing that can inhibit the start comand is the clutch pedal switch which i suspect is ok as we havent had any issues with this switch
the starter motor is engaged through the strarter relay R1 in the engine bay fuse box
the pcm sends a feed and an earth to pins 1& 2 at the same time to engergise the relay
and send power out of pin 5 to the starter motor it also receives a command from the keyless module as a backup
ideally this should be checked with the fault present ( which is very difficult as its intermitent
having looked through the wiring diagrams and my technical notes i keep through the years and suspect the issue may be down to a faulty starter relay
there was an issue a few years back doug whereby a few relays were affected (the cause was the relay iternals being contaminated by lubricant used in production
and is an issue i have seen several times
the fix was to install 4 new modified relaysthe part number of the kit is(###) ###-#### ***** petrol -2.0 ecoboost)
as the fault is intermitent we must rule out the possiblity of this relay R1 causing our issue
I can give you a picture of the fuse box with the affected relays if required
if you need anymore help or advice on this issue please let me know and i wil do my upmost to assist you as i can understand how frustrtaing these issues are
if you have been completely satisfied with my answer/advice
PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER
kind regards ***** ***** and have a nice evening
Brian