Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Hi there, My 07 transit 280 is used every second day, The wheels

Hi there, My 07 transit 280 is used every second day, The wheels lock or brakes and when on moving there is a bump or sometimes a bang and the wheels free up. I had all four disks and pads replaced two years ago. Brakes are terrible now, dangerous, the ABS light is on all the time now after coming on one morning when the wheels freed up. The van does a very low mileage about three thousand miles a year. The garage reckons I need front disks and pads renewed again. I live on the isle of Lewis, no Ford mechanics, garages etc. Any advice? please!
Category: Ford
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.

if you've got the ABS light on the time then the quickest route to repair is to have the car plugged into a diagnostic machine which will read off the fault code stored in the ECU (providing the light is still on at this point) and indicate which sensor has failed or whether the fault is more serious.

However this sounds like its not an option and with ABS systems 99% of the time its a problem with one of the wheel speed sensors and I'd first check the connections at all four corners first for any signs of corrosion or chafed wiring.
The sensor is located in the wheel hub so you'll have to remove each wheel in turn to inspect them all.
Also check that the toothed wheel that the sensor points to is clean and free of any debris.
you can check each sensor's function by plugging the two output wires into an AC voltmeter and spinning the wheel quite quickly, you should get a voltage signal that increases with rev's.

Its possible that the fault is only a bad connection to one of the wheel sensors.
This may be remedied by removing each wheel in turn and unplugging each sensor and cleaning the contacts with a squirt of electrical contact cleaner. Then refitting.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thanks

Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.
No problem Les

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. so if my answers have been helpful please rate my answer.