Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

My auto (o5) gear stick top came off in my hand - I temporarily

My auto (o5) gear stick top came off in my hand - I temporarily hooked the piece of plastic in the middle of the tube to insert the white piece of plastic so I could change gear - that broke - so can't use - car at Ford who say it is a complex fix and want £1100 - is this correct
Category: Ford
Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.

I think the dealership is planning on replacing most of gear lever and interior trim for that price!

I'd suggest the most cost effective fix is to source a good used gear lever assembly from a specialist Ford breakers such as:

http://www.canveyautobreakers.co.uk/ford-car-breakers-essex/

and then have a Ford specialist or other good independent garage replace the part

this should be a considerably cheaper fix at about £50 for a used lever and a few hours labour to fit it

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
As I have described it to you what is it that I need to buy
Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.
Hello Guy

I'd suggest getting the entire lever assembly

graphic