sean
sean, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Master Technician.
31670004

Where is the reverse light switch on a 2001 V6 Galaxy auto

Where is the reverse light switch on a 2001 V6 Galaxy auto?
Category: Ford
Expert:  sean replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I hope the following assists you.
There is no reverse light switch on the transmission on this model the reverse lights are powered by the automatic transmission relay, this is energized by the gear lever unit when reverse is selected, there is no separate switch there is only a separate switch on the manual transmission. Fuse 5 sends power to the relay and when the relay is switched the power is sent through it to the lights. The relay is the middle relay of the second row of relays on the fuse box in the car, pin 5 is a 12 volt feed in and pin 4 is the 12 volt supply to the lights.
The wiring between the relay and gear lever unit varies depending on if the transmission is 4 or 5 speed.
Let me know if I can advise further and I'll reply as soon as I'm able to.
Best wishes,
Sean.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Well that just makes me look silly...opps

Do you know what might cause both reverse lights to stop working?

Expert:  sean replied 2 years ago.
Hello again,
as long as the bulbs and fuse are OK then it's probably the relay that has failed, if you connect pins 4 and 5 of it together with a fuseable link and see if the lights work then, if they do this would confirm the relay isn't operating.
Regards,
Sean.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Does the same fuse also control the rear fog lights?
As these work.
Expert:  sean replied 2 years ago.
Hello again,
no the fog lights are on a separate circuit and are protected by a different fuse.
Regards,
Sean.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry Sean, last question.
Where and how do I get to the relay?
Going into reverse triggers the parking sensors, is that controlled by the relay?
Expert:  sean replied 2 years ago.
Hello again,
the parking aid receives a feed from the transmission relay so this would confirm the relay operation is OK. Given this and the fact the reverse lights are in the tailgate check the wiring between the body and tailgate, the wiring runs through a rubber tube and it's quite common for the wiring to break inside the tube. There is a splice inside the tailgate so only one wire for the reverse lights goes into the tailgate and then splits into 2.
The wire should be a black/blue wire but you can confirm this by checking at the reverse light bulb holder as it changes colour depending on year build.
Best regards,
Sean.
sean, Ford Technician
Experience: Ford Master Technician.