Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have 2005 Mondeo Titanium X 2.0tdci 130bhp. normally returning

I have 2005 Mondeo Titanium X 2.0tdci 130bhp. normally returning about 44mpg. In the last few weeks it has now dropped to 42.2 and blowing a lot of black smoke out of the exhaust. It also judders in various gears when only applying very little throttle. The oil level is fine and Ford garage cannot find a fault. It gets a good run at least once a week of just short of 100 miles to include motorway driving. Sometimes this can be 3 times a week. The garage has updated the codes but has made no difference. Do you think it might be the EGR valve needs replacing or should I get a blanking plate instead. Car has only covered 69000 miles with full ford history. I love this car but is now very annoying!!!! What's your ideas. Thanks in advance.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.

I'd certainly agree that its sounds like the EGR is stuck

if the exhaust sounds noisier than usual then this is another clue that this is wrong

check the connections to the EGR valve, if either the vacuum pipe of electrical connection are damaged / corroded then the EGR can be on all time which certainly will hurt performance. Its also possible that its a fault with the EGR valve so its worth removing the valve and cleaning it out with brake cleaner, if it looks particularly clogged then replace it.