Gallagher99
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience:  SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
17855046

Got ford mondeo estate mk3 ghia 2.0 petrol changed the reverse

Got ford mondeo estate mk3 ghia 2.0 petrol changed the reverse light switch and still can't get light to stay on when you let go of the gear stick they go out push against it and they come back on any body any more ideas thanks
Category: Ford
Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 2 years ago.
Hi there ,good morning to you
Ok if you connect a piece of wire or paper clip across the 2 terminals of the reverse light switch Multiplug with the ignition on does the reverse light come on
Regards Brian
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

that's not the problem I've got power to switch it's when you put it in revers the lights come on but when you let go of the gear stick it goes off as i said in my first question push it or hold it in revers and they stay on if you take the switch out and look in the hole wear switch goes a plate comes across when you put it in reverse to hit the ball on end of switch which makes a contact is they any way to adjust to hold the plate up in gear box.

Hi there ,good morning to you
Sorry for the delay
Ok this plate cannot be adjusted and comes as part of the full gear box selector mechanisim
I have changed a few if these selectors for this fault the cause is internal wear of the selector mechanisim
Unfortunately the only way to resolve this correctly is to install a new selector assembly
This is held by a 6 bolts and slides upward out of the gearbox
If you need anymore help or advice on this issue please let me know
If you are completley satisfied with my answer /advice
PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER
Kind regards ***** ***** and have a nice day
Brian
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience: SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

hi thanks is this a hard job to fix or is it a expert job to fix thanks andrew

Hi Andrew thanks
Ok the part itself is only a fewinurestoremibe and install however you need to remove the battery /battery support trays and gearbox mount to enable the gearbox height to be adjusted using a jack underneath due to the length of the selector in order to remove the selcetor
Regards ***** *****
Brian