Gallagher99
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience:  SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
17855046

hi I have a 1.2 ford fiesta 2012 I was driving down the motorway

Customer Question

hi I have a 1.2 ford fiesta 2012
I was driving down the motorway when the vehicle began to lose power until it came to a stop at the hard shoulder
when getting out of the vehicle I noticed a large amount of engine oil coming from my car which I have been told was coming from the bottom left near the gearbox.
a mechanic has had a look and suggested water has also got into the engine although he isn't sure how yet.
The car is unable to be driven and the mechanic has suggested there maybe more serious damage.
Any ideas what the problem could be? It is a 2 year old vehicle with just over 20000 on the clock.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 2 years ago.
Hi there ,good afternoon to you
Iam sorry to hear your have this issue
Ok the first thing that should be inspected if you have suspected water ingress into the engine is to remove the air filter (if this is wet then we know water has been sucked into the engine ) most commonly driving through a large puddle etc
If water has been sucked into the engine then the results are bad as once the water has been sucked into the engine it is then compressed by the Piston (because you can compress a liquid the engine hydraulics and causes severe damage to the engine components ie broken conrods that break the engine block open etc this is where the oil might be coming from
If this is the case fords warranty wouldn't cover it but your insurance will
This needs to be verified firstly
If you need anymore help or advice on this issue please let me know
If you are completley satisfied with my answer /advice
PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER
Kind regards ***** ***** and have a nice day
Brian
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thanks for your answer,

the aa guy that checked it over before recovery said there was no compression in the engine

would this be a result of what you mentioned above as the vehicle hasn't been driven through any amount of water?.

If it wasn't covered by ford why would insurance (fully comp) cover it and what action would be necessary? new engine? scrap?

Hi there thanks
Ok if it hasn't been driven through a puddle Etc and the fault is engine damsge and the service internals have been kept to then ford warranty would cover what ever caused the issue
The reson I mentioned insurance is that when customers hit water (most commonly standing water on motorways )
And the engine is damaged insurance covers the repair due to type of fault
If the AA guy stated there was No compression then it may be the timing belt has failed as both this and water being sucked into the engine would cause no compression
Deoebding on the actual fault the most likely outcome would be a new or reconditioned engine fitted
Pending what is found on investigation of the engine
Regards ***** *****
Brian