sean
sean, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Master Technician.
31670004

My 2005 Ford Focus 1.6LX Automatic- Transmission Malfunction

My 2005 Ford Focus 1.6 LX Automatic has just started displaying the "Transmission Malfunction" error message and my automatic gear display flashes off and on. The car drives in "limp home mode", i.e. its stuck in 3rd but will go into reverse and all gear changes sound "clunky".

Any chance this could be a simple case of topping up the transmission fluid? (I need to check this properly - it seemed ok). Or is it more likely there is an issue with the solonoids and a massive job on the gearbox?

Category: Ford
Expert:  sean replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I hope the following assists you.
If the transmission has switched to emergency running then any gear changes will clunk as when in emergency mode the transmission fluid pressure is set to maximum.
It's unlikely to be a fluid level problem unless the fluid has dropped so far as to cause the transmission to over heat, if that much fluid had been lost I suspect you would have seen a leak.
The 4F27E transmission is usually reliable so it's likely to be either a wiring fault to the transmission or a solenoid problem. The solenoids can be replaced without transmission removal or strip down so the cost shouldn't be too much if this is the case.
The start point for diagnosing this other than a fluid level check is to retrieve the stored DTC(s) from the TCM, this will help in pinpointing the area of concern such as a failed solenoid. Costs for obtaining the codes should be minimal as no specialist equipment is required for this other than a good quality code reader.
Let me know if you have further questions regarding this and I'll reply as soon as I'm able to.
Best wishes,
Sean.