sean
sean, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Master Technician.
31670004

After having a front spring replaced on my 2006 Mondeo mk3

Customer Question

After having a front spring replaced on my 2006 Mondeo mk3 hatch it developed a knock when travelling over rough ground. All joints have been inspected including antiroll bar bushes. I have heard that it could be caused by the top plate not being aligned properly. Is this possible?
Category: Ford
Expert:  sean replied 2 years ago.

Hello, I hope the following assists you. If this only happened after the spring was replaced then checking the work carried out would be the best starting point. If the spring was replaced due to it breaking then when this happens 95% of the time the strut top bearing gets destroyed or certainly damaged, if this is the case then a new bearing should have been fitted. The spring does need to sit correctly on the top and bottom mountings to stop it moving. The strut assembly can bolt to the body in any of the 3 positions as once mounted the strut will spin on the bearing to allow correct alignment with the knuckle. Other than the struts the main causes of suspension noises on this model are as you mention worn anti roll bar links (not bushes) but these need checking carefully as sometimes when on a 2 post ramp and the suspension is pulling on them the play doesn't always show but can be felt on a 4 post ramp with the weight of the car on the suspension. The other is split rear sub frame bushes on a 4 or 5 door model, estate models don't have bushed rear sub frames. I hope this helps but if you have more questions regarding this let me know and I'll reply as soon as I'm able to. Best wishes, Sean.