Gallagher99
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience:  SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
17855046

I BOUGHT A BRAND NEW FORD FOCUS 1.6 ECO BOOST 2 YEARS AGOFROM

I BOUGHT A BRAND NEW FORD FOCUS 1.6 ECO BOOST 2 YEARS AGOFROM THE MAIN FORD DEALER. IT NOW NEEDS A NEW CLUTCH AND I HAVE ONLY DONE 41000KMS. AS USUAL I AM TOLD IT IS NOT IN THE WARRANTY AND IT IS NOT COVERED BY THE 5 YEAR CONTRACT PLAN EITHER. MAIN FORD DEALER SAID IT WAS DOWN TO MY DRIVING. I HAVE DRIVEN FOR OVER 50 YEARS AND NEVER NEEDED TO HAVE A CLUTCH FITTED TO ANY CAR I HAVE DRIVEN OVER THIS PERIOD. WHEN I LOOK UP THE INTERNET I FIND THAT THIS CAR HAS BEEN GIVING CLUTCH PROBLEMS TO A LOT OF PEOPLE INCLUDING ONE PERSON WHO HAS HAD 3 CLUTCHES FITTED IN 10 MONTHS. ANOTHER WOMAN WAS ALSO ACCUSED OF BAD DRIVING AND SHE HAD BEEN DRIVING FOR 16 YEARS AND MAINLY ON MOTORWAYS. FORD DO NOT SEEM TO BE WILLING TO ACCEPT THEY HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THIS MODEL AND ACCEPT RESPONSIBILITY, SOME CASES ARE EVEN AT ARBITRATION. SO MY QUERY IS " DO FORD HAVE MAJOR PROBLEMS WITH CLUTCHES THROUGHOUT VARIOUS COUNTRIES WITH THE FOCUS 1.6 ECO BOOST? ". I CURRENTLY LIVE IN MALLORCA
Category: Ford
Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 2 years ago.
Hi there good evening to you
Okay just to confirm this is a 1.6 eco boost petrol Varient not a diesel
What was the exact concern with the clutch or no drive , no gear engagement
Do you have your chassis number there so I can check any previous Hstory
Kind regards ***** *****
Brian
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

MODEL : FOCUS TITANIUM 1.0 ECOB 125CV 5P ( SORRY I SAID IT WAS 1.6 )

CHASSIS : WFOKXXGCBKCD78711

KMS: 41835

PETROL

THIS CAR WAS BOUGHT BRAND NEW FROM THE MAIN FORD DEALER IN PALMA ,MALLORCA IN AUGUST 2012. AND IS COVERED BY A FORD PROTECT 5 YEAR LIFE PLAN.

THERE WAS A BURNING SMELL COMING FROM THE CAR AND I DECIDED TO TAKE IT TO THE GARAGE ON MONDAY 20TH OCTOBER. WHILE TAKING IT TO THE GARAGE THE CLUTCH FAILED COMPLETELY AND AT ONE STAGE THE CLUTCH PEDAL DID NOT RETURN WHEN PRESSED TO THE FLOOR AND I WAS VERY LUCKY THAT I MANAGED TO DRIVE IT IN TO THE FORECOURT OF THE GARAGE. IT WAS LEFT FOR REPAIR. I ASKED TO HIRE A COURTESY CAR BUT WAS TOLD NONE WERE AVAILABLE AND HAD TO TAKE A TAXI HOME AT A COST OF 25 EUROS. I THEN HIRED A CAR FOR 3 DAYS THINKING THAT THE CLUTCH FLUID CYLINDER HAD BROKEN. WHEN I RETURNED TO THE GARAGE I WAS TOLD THAT THE CLUTCH PARTS WOULD NOT ARRIVE UNTIL MONDAY27TH OCTOBER AND THE CAR WOULD NOT BE READY UNTIL 30TH OCTOBER. I PICKED UP THE CAR ON 30TH OCTOBER AND PAID AN ACCOUNT FOR 1140 EUROS, MADE UP OF 300 EUROS FOR THE CLUTCH,440 EUROS FOR A VOLANTE WHICH THEY SAID WAS CONNECTED TO THE CLUTCH, 300 EUROS FOR LABOUR AND 100 EUROS FOR SUNDRIES. THE HIRED CAR WAS RETURNED ON 30TH OCTOBER AT A COST OF 273 EUROS.

I TRUST THIS ANSWERS YOUR QUERY

Hi there thanks and sorry for the delay
Ok if you can leave this with me till I look further into this as I hsbrnt changed any 1.0 eco boost clutches so know of no concerns regarding them but will contact my engineer to see if they have any known issues as it seems strange the clutch would burn out at 41,000 miles
Was this work carried out by a ford dealer
Regards Brian
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

THE WORK WAS CARRIED OUT BY THE FORD DEALER IN PALMA MALLORCA BASED IN SON CASTELLO INDUSTRIAL ESTATE. ON THE INTERNET UNDER HONEST JOHN YOU WILL SEE THE PROBLEMS PEOPLE ARE HAVING WITH THIS ENGINE AND BURNT OUT CLUTCHES. ONE PERSON HAS HAD 3 CLUTCHES IN 10 MONTHS. ONE PERSON HAS HAD THE CAR FOR AS LITTLE AS 6 MONTHS AND NEEDED A NEW CLUTCH. EACH TIME FORD SAID IT WAS NOT COVERED AND DOWN TO BAD DRIVING. WHAT IN 6 MONTHS AND A BRAND NEW CAR.

Hi there thanks
I will look into this issue and see if I can find out any further information which might help you
Regards Brian
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am waiting on you finding out further information!!! see above. The reply with this was that you were contacting other Ford experts!!! At the moment I am losing confidence in getting an adequate response because :-

1. You asked if the work was done by a Ford dealer and I told you this in the first line of my response

2. What word is hsbrnt? Do you not check what you are sending?

3. I asked you to look at the Honest John internet site as you said you could not find any problems with this car!!!

Unless you can find out what happened to the other people who have had clutch problems and what information I can present to FORD as evidence I feel that the response to date has been unsatisfactory and no payment will be made

It tells me a response in minutes but you currently are replying in hours or not until the next day. I cannot sit at a computer just waiting for your reply.

Hi there ,good afternoon to you
Iam sorry for the delay I have been waiting on my technical engineer getting back to me today
I have contacted my ford tech team as well as my engineer
Also I have spoke to another 3 master techs from different ford garages and the concensus is there is no known concerns with the 1.0ecoboost clutch ie early failures
As I mentioned I haven't seen any in my busy main dealer
I know this is not the answer you were looking for but I can only go on what information I have
I personally think 25,000 miles is far too early for any type if clutch isdue and will bring the said issue up at the next technical clinc Iam at
I suspect there may be some underlying issue here that ford are not telling us about as I did have a look on the Internet at various customers mainly smelly clutch issues
Iam surprised the dealer in Spain never proved fird to pay for it as the only wateabty claim they made was a coolant hose on the same day 30/10/214
Iam sorry for any inconvenive caused
Kind regards ***** ***** and have a nice day
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

in connection with your reply, I do not understand your last paragraph

1. what is fird?

2. what is wateabty?

3. where do you get a coolant hose from on the same day? I never mentioned this.

4.Clients are stating the smell but have had to replace the clutch. This sounds to me like a burnt out clutch and I am no expert but does the smell and clutch replacement not go hand in hand?

Need you to reply to these questions before I rate to finish

Hi there sorry this was spell check that changed this
I was surprised the dealer in Spain never probed ford to pay for it as the only warranty claim they made was a coolant hose on the same day 30/10/214(this means they changed a coolant hose on your vehicle ) under warranty on the said date
We sometimes get clutch smell issues without burnt out clutches ie s lot of people rest there foot on the clutch pedal (not pressing it ) just resting there foot on the clutch pedal is enough to heat the clutch disc up
In my dealership we would have submitted photos to ford to see if they would grant authority for the clutch to be done under warranty as at 25k the clutch should be fine
Iam also surprised nobody at ford if contacted would have wanted to see images to access the type of damage ie blueing due to overheating
Also a GCR (Global Concern Report ) should have been submitted to ford at the same time
I will continue to lokk into this as I think it's something that may need addressed
Regards Brian
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience: SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE