Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have a 2009 Ford Fiesta Econetic 1.6 diesel. I opened the

I have a 2009 Ford Fiesta Econetic 1.6 diesel. I opened the bonnet to fill up the washer bottle and now the bonnet won't close fully. The latch catches it, but the cable mechanism seems to be loose. The lever inside the car is loose and the cable hangs in a loop. The cable inside the bonnet looks loose - you can grab hold of it and pull it but nothing happens. What has happened and can I fix it. Regards, Sandra
Category: Ford
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.
Hello Sandra

this sounds like the locking portion of the latch is not retracting, either its jammed or the spring is broken

if you look closely at the bonnet latch you should see where the cable is attached to the lock

move the cable attachement lever by hand to check that it moves smoothly and retracts fully

the lever should 'snap' back under a spring
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi, I've just read your reply. I did look at the problem earlier today and can say that the spring is intact but the mechanism seems to be jammed. I did manage to get it closed. It is booked in for a service tomorrow morning and I'm going to ask the garage to look at it. Thanks for your reply.

Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.
no problem Sandra

they might suggest to replace the release cable too so be prepared for that

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. so if my answers have been helpful please rate my answer.
If you don't rate then you can use the cash at a later date to ask another question.
Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience: BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years