Gallagher99
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience:  SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
17855046

Good evening.I own a Ford Fusion 1.4 Zetec '56 with Durashift

Good evening.I own a Ford Fusion 1.4 Zetec '56 with Durashift EST transmission. Recently in semi-auto mode it will not change to 3rd gear,warning lights come on and I have no drive. However if I switch it off and wait about 5 minutes all returns to normal usually occurs when cold. Any thoughts? Regards ***** ***** *****@******.***
Category: Ford
Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 3 years ago.
Hi there Martin ,good evening to you
Hi there good evening to you
Ok The fault will most commonly lies with the electronic gearshift selector assembly
Located on the side of the gearbox .
This ASM system is basically a fully manual gearbox but the gear selection is electronically controlled
the only way to correctly diagnose these faults with the durashift system is through Fords IDS laptop as a fault code check /gearshift tests are imperative -
What normally happens is the gearshift actuator loses its position
And thinks it is stuck in 4th gear this not allowing you to crank/start the engine
This is why your dash display doesn't show N Or R correctly
this diagnostic software on fords ids lsptop allows the technician to monitor all the relavent signals from the transmission control module ,
I have personally fixed Seversl durashift faults like yours over the years (intermitent )
the first check that MUST be done is to inspect the wiring Very closely
between the TCM ( Transmi ssion Control Module ) and the electronic gearshift actuators
The wiring must have all its insulation/ tape/ covex tubing removed and be inspected visually from theTCM to the gearshift actuators for ANY signs of chaffing or more commonly corrosion ( blue/green on the wiring )
and also check all connections/multiplugs for damage/corrosion
the fault will most commonly lie with the gearshift Actautor (sticking )
i hve changed Several of these actuators for the same fault over the years
i have also seen the wiring be corroded many times as well ( when the wiring is stripped back give the wires a light pull ) if corrosion is present the wire will break easily
The gearshift Actutors can ONLY be programmed through Fords IDS
The fault wont lie with the ECU/PCM or the TCM
i have never heard or seen one of these being changed for this issue
would be worth stripping the wiring back yourself and checking for any broken/ corroded or damaged wires
this could also save you paying to get it fixe
if ALL the wiring is OK ( no damage/corrsion ) Then
i would advise you book your vehicle into your nearest ford dealer ASAP to have this fault checked , as indepent garages DONT have the software required to diagnose this issue correctly and could end up diagnosng the fault wrongly and costing you a lot of money
The gearshift actutors are around £ 250 -£300 from what i can remember
if you need any more advice on this issue please let me know
if you are completley satisfied with my answer PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER
kind regards ***** ***** nice evening
Brian