Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

My transit custom has a knocking sound coming from the front

My transit custom has a knocking sound coming from the front passenger side. A new shocker and droplink and relevant parts have been fitted under warranty but the knocking is still there. When my local garage serviced the van they noticed that the brake pads on the front were worn but not over excessive. The mechanic can not find anything else wrong. My reg is SX63AYL and has done 17'500 miles .Please can you help
Category: Ford
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have not found an answer yet. The front brake pads have been renewed but the knocking is still there. This is not a steady noise like something rubbing but is more like a dull thud fairly randomly

Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.

I'd suggest checking out the state of the anti-roll bar droplinks if you haven't already, both sides need disconnecting to fell whats going on

I'd also check the state of the strut top bearings / mounts

To feel if there's a worn strut top bearing then lightly hold the spring by hand and have your assistant move the steering from left to right with the wheel on the ground - a worn bearing will feel 'notchy' through the spring. The wheel needs to be on the ground for the test to load up the bearing

and if this is OK then it could be an issue with the lower wishbone mounts where they bolt to the chassis
to check for this have the van jacked up on that side with the wheel about 2 inches off the ground use a steel bar under the wheel and lever the wheel up and down slightly, you should be able to look at the end of the axle and see if the suspension arm is moving up and down separately to the axle.If so replace the bush
Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience: BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years