Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have a ford focus 1.8TDCI 56 reg, it cut out & won't start

Customer Question

I have a ford focus 1.8TDCI 56 reg, it cut out & won't start now on the dash it says engine system failure & a snap-on modis says fuel pressure above maximum, there is very little pressure at the common rail & no fuel coming up from the tank, in thinking the pipe is blocked or the electric pump in the tank not working I removed the tank, I discovered there woz no electric pump & the pipe not blocked however there woz crap in the bottom of the fuel gauge sender unit after washing it all out clean I replaced everything & checked for a code, my code reader sed no code but I did an erase anyway & engine system failure disappeared from dash & it then sed door open thinking I'd fixed it tried to start it & engine system failure appeared on the dash it won't start. If u can help I would by very grateful thanks Lee
Category: Ford
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.

its worth considering fitting a new fuel filter as if only slightly blocked this can lower fuel supply pressure and choke the main pump, the pump will be more sensitive to this when its cold as diesel thickens considerably with low temperatures.
and it may have developed an air leak on the fuel supply pipe from the tank to the engine. The engine has no separate lift pump and relies on the built in one in the injection pump. If a leak has developed on the fuel suction pipe then air entering the system will air lock the pump.
Try pumping up the fuel using the hand pump in the engine bay on the filter housing, then crack off / loosen each injector pipe in turn while cranking the engine and getting an assistant to operate the primer. This will expel air from the injection side and the engine should fire up. The problem will be cured by checking the supply pipe along its length for signs of leakage and repairing any you find.
If you daub each pipe joint with heavy grease and the issue goes away then wipe the grease away one at a time to highlight the problem joint