Gallagher99
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience:  SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
17855046

Ggarage computer indicated that turbo booster solenoid faulty

Customer Question

Ggarage computer indicated that turbo booster solenoid faulty after limp mode occurring occasionally. Replaced but limp mode again twice in following 48 hours. Ford S Max 07 TDCI Titanium AE07 KPV
Category: Ford
Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 2 years ago.
Hi there , good morning to you
Ok do you know what fault code is being logged
Also what is the mileage and what type of driving doestje vehicle do is cold short runs etc
Regards Brian
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No idea what the code was. Tend to go short runs from cold with weekly drive of 50 miles plus runs of a good length, probably not often enough for diesel! But am careful to follow advice on starting, always wait for the yellow dashboard light to fade and stopping at the end of a trip by letting the engine tick over for at least a minute. On the computer scan the DPF was not mentioned. Mileage is 64250

Hi there thanks ***** suskext there has been some sort of turbo underboost code logged thus why the boost actuator was changed
And as the vehicle drives ok most the time the vacuum pipework to the turbo can be ruled out
the reason I asked about the driving styles is that the earlier 2.0 TDCI Varients can have carbon build up on the variable vanes due to easy driving styles inside the turbo this can cause them to stick slightly causing an underboost condition (thus limp home mode )
As a process of elimination we usally irk the variable vane actuator rod back and forth quickly several times to free off any possible carbon build up and the carry out what is known as a turbo carbon burn off road test
This involves you getting the vehicle up to running temperature and then driving it steady along the motorway for 20-30 mins at higher revs - lower gears
I've 3500 rpm in 4 th gear
This makes the turbo work hard and cleans/burns and carbon debris off the vanes (you can also buy a turbo vane cleaver additive to assist this process )
I have carried this out on many vehickes successfully where by the customer had intermitent limp home mode with turbo underboost concerns and it is certainly worth trying as a process of elimination
If you need anymore help or advice on this issue please let me know
If you are completley satisfied with my answer /advice
PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER
Kind regards ***** ***** and have a nice day
Brian
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Am happy to pass on this advice to my mechanic and can certainly activate your road test though no motor way or even length of dual carriageway in my part of Norfolk or north Suffolk just over the county border. I cannot even guarantee any period of uninterrupted driving of even 20 minutes and I assume that it is the uninterrupted part that is necessary?

Hi there ,thanks
Ok it's not essential that the road test is uninterrupted but it's more important regarding the higher revs for a prolonged period to make the turbo work harder when it's really hot thus burning any carbon off the vanes as the fault is intetmitent we always advise this as due course before replacing expensive parts
And as a preliminary diagnostics
As you would be amazed at how many customers havent returned after this has been carried out for intermitent underboost concerns that are hard to reproduce
PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER
Brian
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

As far as rating your advice - I wish to keep this chat available until we see if your suggestions do the trick - is that possible please? I visit the garage this afternoon but as it's the week end tomorrow it could be early next week before I know the answer to that when I will be more than happy to rate your advice favourably.

It would obviously be better for you if I have you at the other end of the chat to receive my update.

Hi there
No worries
We can still communicate on this post even after a rating has been given
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It is good to have your advice duplicated by my garage - not a main agent - and he will be following that through next week. I will give you a Satisfied rating. I may get back to you with further information if he finds more of a problem but not to cancel my current satisfaction rating.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Trouble grew - and in the end it was a past-repairing turbo. No problems with the garage, I was looked after very well and their customer service is exemplary. his is a small independent garage kin Lowestoft which has a strong customer following.

Yes I rated you, yes I paui my £27 so no further action needs to be taken by me.

Stella Murgatroud

Hi Stella good morning to you
Iam glad weHi e this issue resolved now
If you ever need any future help or advice with your vehicle please let me know
Kind regards ***** ***** a nice day
Brian