sean
sean, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Master Technician.
31670004

Hi Mike, can you help please? My ford Transit 2006 old style

Hi Mike, can you help please? My ford Transit 2006 old style with duratorq engine does some strange things now and again, my be fine for days but sometimes the engine becomes very loud and the power drops, I have to deaccelerate and or change down gears at which it usually recovers but I do think it starting to happen more often. It's rather frightening when it happens! Any ideas please
Category: Ford
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  sean replied 2 years ago.
Hello, do you still require assistance with this? If so is the vehicle a TDCi?
If you're not sure do you have the registration or chassis number?
Let me know and I'll reply as soon as I'm able to.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi there, yes please I have not received any assistance up to now.

No it's not a TDCi. It's the old common rail engine, one of the last in the 06 model. I have had this van for about 18 months had it regularly serviced with new filters oil etc, the reg for you info is BD06 ATO.

I have been using the van today. Goes fine for miles then for no reason sounds noisy and lacks power, I do a quick gear change and alter the revs and it's back to normal. It might do it again after a few minutes then might go for miles. I just need somewhere to start looking.

Expert:  sean replied 2 years ago.
Hello again.
This is likely to be due to the fuel injection pump timing solenoid sticking. When the solenoid sticks the injection timing becomes incorrect this is when you hear the diesel knock and the lack of power is evident.
The solenoid can be replaced without removing or replacing the fuel injection pump, it comes as a kit from Ford number(###) ###-#### ***** access the solenoid you need to remove the inlet manifold and starter motor, the solenoid is at the bottom of the pump and is held in with 2 screws, the wiring to it needs to be cut and soldered to the new solenoid wiring.
The only 100% way to confirm this is the problem is to retrieve the stored fault codes from the engine management, the codes stored for this are P0149 and P1564, most garages will be able to read the fault codes so the cost is minimal.
I hope this helps but if you have more questions regarding this let me know and I'll reply as soon as I'm able to.
Best wishes,
Sean.
sean, Ford Technician
Experience: Ford Master Technician.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Well done Sean, looks like I am getting somewhere! I would just like to add, the problem only occurs when the engine is hot. Is this typical?

Thanks very much for all your help.

Malcolm

Expert:  sean replied 2 years ago.
Hello again,
it may be only when not at the moment but if left it will end up where the fault is there all the time.
Let me know if I can advise further.
Best regards,
Sean.