Gallagher99
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience:  SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
17855046

I have a 2003 Mondeo ST220 which is taking in water into the

I have a 2003 Mondeo ST220 which is taking in water into the rear offside passenger well - help! I cannot see exactly where the problem is but assume it's something to do with the door seal.
Jane
Category: Ford
Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 2 years ago.
Hi there Jane good evening to you
Ok the most common and likely cause is poor /detached butyl sealer on the bottom of the passengers rear door foil
The door foil stops any water which is inside the doors entering the vehicle
Firstly you need to remove the door panel and then closely inspect the bottom of the door foil(grey foam membrane ) for detachment or small holes that can be the source of your leak
The door foil is sealed to the door by butyl tape sealer which you can buy seperatly if you wish to attempt to repair it with new butyl tape
If any loose/separated butyl tape is found the door foil should ideally be replaced as sometimes trying to reseal it doesn't work
If you need anymore help or advice on this issue Jane please let me know
If you are completley satisfied with my answer /advice
PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER
Kind regards ***** ***** and have a nice evening
Brian
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Brian - my thanks for the prompt response. I appreciate that you can't give an exact cost for replacing the door foil but could you give me a vague idea of what I should expect since I am obviously a woman and experience has shown that I can be overcharged for anything like this. Equally is this something I can tackle myself?
Jane
Hi Jane
Ok you would be looking at around half an hours labour to replace this foil
Most garsges or dealers may charge an hour minimum but you can shop around
From memory the door foils are around £30 but I would have to double check this as it has been a few years since I've replaced one and if you wish I can post back the exact price and part number for you if you wish to purchase this yourself from your local dealer then you can shop for labour quotes
This wouldn't be Untill tommorow morning though
Kind regards ***** *****
Brian
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Brian - that would be great - thank you! At least I know what to expect now and as you say I can then shop around. Again can't thank you enough - it's been driving me mad trying to find the leak and this current wet weather has really focused my attention!
Jane
No worries Jane I will post the relavent information to you tommorow morning
Brian
Hi Jane good morning to you
Ok here is the price /part information I promised
The door foil ford part number(electric rear windows ) -(###) ###-####- £24.72+ vat
The door foil ford part number (manual windows )-(###) ###-####- £24.72+vat
Kind regards ***** *****
Brian
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience: SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Brian - you are an absolute star! Thank you - hope the day has gone well for you.

Jane