sean
sean, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Master Technician.
31670004

1996/7 Ford Mondeo Ghia X Keyfob Activation has failed. Ford

1996/7 Ford Mondeo Ghia X
Keyfob Activation has failed.
Ford Main agent have tried to fix but their computer system cannot fix
***** *****on
Category: Ford
Expert:  sean replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I hope I can offer you some assistance.
Which type of key fob is this? How many buttons? You say the keyfob activation has failed, do you mean the fob no longer works and a new fob won't programme to the car?
Let me know as much as you can and I'll reply as soon as I'm able to.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Sean

Key Fob details

Slightly Oblong 2" x1.5"

Two buttons

Fob also incorporates the door / ignition key

I do not know whether the Fob does not work or it will not programme

Perhaps there is a fob only available

The more I think about it it seems I need to visit somewhere local with the car!

Regards JohnH

Expert:  sean replied 2 years ago.
Hello again,
I can give you a few things to try if you want to do some investigation yourself. Or if you want to try a garage and come back to me if they can't sort it out.
Let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sean

Awaiting advice

Johnh

Expert:  sean replied 2 years ago.
Hello again.
Given the age of the car then it could be either an infra red system or radio frequency system, they programme in different ways.
The infra red system is the earlier system and has a small receiver in each front door handle.
First check that when you press and hold either button on the fob the red LED in the fob flashes to show operation, if it doesn't then check or replace the batteries as required.
To programme the infra red key to the car is as follows (LED refers to the LED next to the time clock).
Turn the ignition switch from position 0 to position I.
Wait until the passive anti-theft system (PATS) LED is continuously ON
Turn the ignition switch to position 0.
Within 5 seconds of the previous step, hold the key in the direction of the infra red receiver then press and hold the unlock button on the remote transmitter.
When the LED in the key starts flashing, press the lock button three times.
Release both buttons and observe that the PATS LED and the key LED flash 5 times.
After each successful remote transmitter programming, another 20 second programming mode is automatically entered, up to a maximum of four times.
To program additional remote transmitters, repeat the procedure from step 4 with each additional remote transmitter.
The system will exit the programming mode if the ignition switch is turned to position II, no new remote transmitter is programmed during the 20 seconds or if four remote transmitters have been programmed.
To programme the radio frequency system is as follows.
Close all doors to make sure conflicting chimes do not sound during programming.
Turn the ignition switch from position I to position II four times within six seconds.
Turn the ignition switch to position 0.
A chime sounds and an LED will illuminate to indicate that the learning mode has been accessed and it is possible to program remote transmitters.
Within 10 seconds of the previous step, press any button on the remote transmitter being programmed until a chime is heard and the LED flashes. This indicates a new transmitter code has been successfully received.
After each successful remote transmitter programming, another 10 second learning mode is automatically entered, up to a maximum of four times.
To program additional remote transmitters, repeat step 5.
The system will exit the learning mode if the ignition switch is turned to position III, no new remote transmitter is programmed during the 10 seconds or if four remote transmitters have been programmed.
NOTE: An incorrect programming procedure does not affect the stored codes.
After successful programming, only the new programmed remote transmitters will be accepted.
Test all the programmed remote transmitters, by activating and deactivating the remote locking and unlocking functions.
I suspect given the age of the car it's likely to be the infra red system.
If you can't access programming mode or the LED won't confirm programming it's worth unplugging and reconnecting the central locking control unit this is behind the dash on the drivers side you may need to remove the lower trim panel but the module has a sticker on it that give a clear indication that it's the locking module.
If the LED doesn't work then the power supply to the locking module needs checking.
The only 100% to be certain the key output is correct is by using a suitable signal tester so this would need garage attention so before going to a garage try the above.
Let me know if I can advise further.
Best wishes,
Sean.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thanks for your efforts Sean , I will have to get some help with interpreting your answer

regards johnh

Expert:  sean replied 2 years ago.
OK, no problem let me know if I can assist further.
Regards,
Sean.