Gallagher99
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience:  SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
17855046

Mondeo won't start on start button, says to press clutch when already doing. N

Category: Ford
Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 2 years ago.
Hi there ,good afternoon to you
Ok does the ignition lights come on when you press the start button but the go back off when pressed again
Regards Brian
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes also reg is B12APE

Ok if the ignition lights are coming on this indicates that there is no issue with the immobilsor system or keyless system and that the key is being detected
In my experience With this issue it is most commonly the clutch switch /starter inhibitor switch not activating correctly
If you push the clutch pedal hard to the floor sometimes the vehicle will start as this is a common occurance we are seeing on the earlier Mondeo 57MY)
This is something that can be easily overlooked and can send most technicians down the wrong route leading to mid-diagnosis and unessecary costs
This is a very complex system and normally requires diagnostic software to correctly diagnose the issue
But from your description I would go straight to the clutch/starter inhibitor switch
There is 2 switches on the clutch pedal the starter inhibitor is the top one the pcm must see the switch at 75% before cranking will commence if not the ignition lights just go back off
If you need anymore help or advice on this issue please let me know
If you are completley satisfied with my answer /advice
PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER
Kind regards ***** ***** and have a nice evening
Brian
I hope you will be completley satisfied with my answer /advice
PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER
As customer satisfaction is priority
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience: SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

if this is the little switch that gets pressed by pushing in the clutch tried this and moves fine

Hi there
Ok there is 2 of these switches one is a clutch postion switch the other which is up the very top and tight to see and get at of the clutch pedal is the starter inhibitor switch this is a common issue we see a lot of
Regards Brian
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No that's the one we tried it moved well but didn't help

Hi there
Ok yes they move fine but the adjust is usally out if not it's the switch
Try bending the bracket forward towards the pedal
As if you bridge the starter it starts so this rules out many things
The keyless system is fine so only leaves the starter system
But this starter inhibitor switch needs to be ruled out first to as this is very common they don't break they either fail internally or are out of spec (adjustment )
If the pcm doesn't see this switch at 75%
We usally monitor these on datalogger
The fact the ignition lights go back off is a huge indicator this is the issue
Regards Brian
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok will give it a try

No worries