Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have been having problems recently with my 08 plate

I have been having problems recently with my 08 plate C-Max,it can sometimes be very poor at starting. I have had my glow plugs replaced and just yesterday the fuel filter but have been told that the mechanic saw shavings in the oil,was told this was a problem with the fuel pump disintegrating and could possibly be quite expensive to repair.I have also been told this is a common complaint with the C-Max and the Focus.Can you confirm this is true and what would be involved in the repair and what the cost is likely to be?

if there are metal shavings in the oil then yes I'm sorry to say that this is a sign of a failing oil pump

the best way to confirm this is to measure the fuel pressure at the injectors

any diesel specialist should be able to do this for a nominal fee

if its below spec then its only a matter of time before the pump fails

you can get a rebuilt pump for about £500 and its a couple hours labour to fit but be prepared to have to replace injectors too ( £100 each) as its likely a failing pump will have forced metal particles into them

I can reccommend this firm to source a pump and injectors from

http://www.dieselbob.co.uk/