Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Ford Transit 8 tourneo The Problem is when I try and start

Customer Question

Ford Transit 8 tourneo
The Problem is when I try and start the minibus in the mornings.
all the dash and interior lights come on bright,
I turn the key and nothing happens, if I continue to keep turning the key after a while it sounds like it is trying to engage the starter then the bus will start.
It will be fine for the rest of the day.
I have fitted a new starter and no different
would appreciate your expert help
Roy
Category: Ford
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
Hello Roy,
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes I would appreciate your help

I failed to explain that the vehicle is Diesel

Roy

Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
I'm Matt and I'll try to help you with this

If the car's not cranking then first check it can turned over by hand so double checking for any mechanical issues
If OK then check that the main battery cables are on tight and the terminals are clean and bright. Do the same for the engine / gearbox earth strap.
Then follow the main positive lead back to the engine and down to the starter motor, and check the connection at this end as well.

There should also be a small wire to the motor which should have 12V when you're turning the ignition switch to crank. If the 12V isn't there, check back along this wire for damage to the insulation or corroded connections

This 12V feed comes directly from the ignition switch so this may be faulty and need replacing

Check the resistance of the main positive lead that runs down to the motor as anything more than a few ohms and it should be replaced
Don't forget to try a jump start from another car / battery as its possible the battery is poor, if you have a voltmeter a healthy battery should read 12.7+V

also try substituting the battery for another as I've known a very flat battery to drag down the system voltage too far even with jump cables

one other thing to consider is that the immobiliser is faulty and preventing the starter from being enabled - however if the dash / ignition lights are on then this usually means that its off
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

do you still need help with this?