sean
sean, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Master Technician.
31670004

My 1600 Ford Focus 04 plate has developed a fault where the

My 1600 Ford Focus 04 plate has developed a fault where the dashboard lights take it turn to illuminate and flash. An alarm beeps every few seconds and the interior light comes on intermittently. The speedo dial drops to zero then temporarily come back to life before dropping to zero. the car drives fine whilst this cheap light show continues. A diagnostic test suggested a new Gem module was required. This has been replaced but the error is unchanged. The garage have returned the car unable to pin point the fault. can anyone assist please?
Category: Ford
Expert:  sean replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I hope I can offer you some assistance.
Is this a 1998 to 2004 Focus or a 2004 to 2011 Focus? Is it just the speedometer that drops to zero? Are the other gauges OK? Does the mileage display stay OK?
Let me know and I'll reply as soon as I'm able to.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I do not know which sort of 2004 Model I have. How can I tell?

If it helps here is some. Details of logbook

Chassis WF0AXXWPDA4R11705, Index EK04FBE, Engine 4R11705.

It is all the dashboard gauges that drop to xero. The mileage flashes two rows of 888888 and occasionally flickers back to the correct readings.

the open door light is on constantly and the others flash on and off.

Thanks for your help!

Expert:  sean replied 2 years ago.

Hello again. The car is a 19988 to 2004 Focus. From the description you've given this is a fault with the instrument cluster. This was a very common problem so much so that several years ago it featured on the BBC programme Watchdog. Replacing the cluster solves the concern. Check with your local Ford dealer for the cost of a cluster as after all the poor publicity the price of a cluster was reduced to below £100 compared to the original price of about £500. Alternatively there are companies that repair clusters such as http://www.ecutesting.com/ford_focus_instrument_cluster_.html this company also confirm the failure of the cluster or if you want to fit a used cluster you can without any issues as long as you make sure the car it is from has the same ABS or no ABS option. I hope this helps but if you have more questions regarding this let me know and I'll reply as soon as I'm able to. Best wishes, Sean.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for help Sean, I got it out and posted it to the suggested company, just waiting to hear back from them. Have a great Christmas and thanks again.

Daren

Expert:  sean replied 2 years ago.
No problem.
Merry Christmas.