sean
sean, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Master Technician.
31670004

55 focus 1.6tdi , have changed turbo ,filters etc flushed

55 focus 1.6tdi , have changed turbo ,filters etc flushed engine , but engine now puts out smoke from exhaust when turbo is engaged .

Category: Ford
Expert:  sean replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I hope the following assists you.
You don't say why the turbo was replaced but if it had failed and any oil entered the intake system this will cause smoke until it has been removed, this includes oil in the intercooler and pipe work.
Depending on the nature of the failure it is also possible for debris from the turbo to enter the engine causing damage, this would cause blue smoke.
If the turbo wasn't creating any boost pressure before it failed then excess fuel can build up in the engine, once a new turbo is fitted and the car is driven with boost pressure this can cause smoking until the fuel has cleared, this can take a few miles of hard driving to do.
You need to determine if it is black smoke which is excess fuel or lack of air, or it is blue and is due to oil burning which can be due to oil in the intake or possible engine damage depending on the original nature of the turbo failure.
I hope this helps but if I can advise further let me know and I'll reply as soon as I'm able top.
Best wishes,
Sean.
sean, Ford Technician
Experience: Ford Master Technician.