Gallagher99
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience:  SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
17855046

hello i have a ford mondeo 2 litre tdci titanium x push button

hello i have a ford mondeo 2 litre tdci titanium x push button start just recently all the dash lights have been coming on as normal but when you go to push the button to start the car it will not start.i was able just about to get in the car press the clutch and push the button on the car wont start fine now i have to get in the car push the button wait for the ignition process to go through its cycle then push the clutch and brake in order for the car start.it has been into ford and they replaced the push button start button which is made no difference at all.i've spoken to the garage again and they want the car back in but the mechanic who i spoke to seems quite vague on the problem and say they have never come across it before my car has done 160000 miles and is a taxi and my livelihood so as you can imagine i need to get it fixed pretty quick any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated thank you the car is an early 57 plate.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 2 years ago.
Hi there ,good evening to you
Ok does the ignition lights come on when you press the start button but the go back off when you press the start button again
Regards Brian
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes it does everything that it should do just doesn't fire up when the clutch is pressed .only fires up after the sequence of push button wait until message displayed press clutch. So I press clutch pedal then brake pedal and then she fires up.

Ok if the ignition lights are coming on with ignition on but then go Off when start button is pressed again this indicates that there is no issue with the immobilsor system or keyless system and that the key is being detected etc
In my experience With this issue it is most commonly the clutch switch /starter inhibitor switch not activating correctly
If you push the clutch pedal hard to the floor sometimes the vehicle will start as this is a common occurance we are seeing on the earlier Mondeo 57MY) as the clutch switch needs to be activated 75% or more in order for cranking to be ensbled
This is something that can be easily overlooked and can send most technicians down the wrong route leading to mid-diagnosis and unessecary costs
This is a very complex system and normally requires diagnostic software to correctly diagnose the issue
But from your description I would go straight to the clutch/starter inhibitor switch
There is 2 switches on the clutch pedal the starter inhibitor is the top one the pcm must see the switch at 75% before cranking will commence if not the ignition lights just go back off
If you need anymore help or advice on this issue please let me know
If you are completley satisfied with my answer /advice
PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER
Kind regards ***** ***** and have a nice evening
Brian
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience: SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Its going back into furrows ford in the morning I will pass this info on to him thank you.

Hi there good afternoon to you
No worries
I look forward to your response and hopefully my advice will assist you In resolving this issue
Regards ***** *****
Brian
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Your advice was spot on job done many thanks.