Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

hiyesterday my transit stopped at the lights and refused

hi yesterday my transit stopped at the lights and refused to start again.

It turns over fine and has a new battery so its not a lack of power from the battery, the red light by the clock turns off when the key is turned so i dont think its a key issue. All the fuses are fine so I think its a fuel problem but i dont know the best way to check the fueling.

Update, it coughs and tries to start if you spray ether into the air intake.

Category: Ford
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.

If it coughs when spraying ether / fuel in, then cam timing is probably OK and it

may have developed an air leak on the fuel supply pipe from the tank to the engine. The engine has no separate lift pump and relies on the built in one in the injection pump. If a leak has developed on the fuel suction pipe then air entering the system will air lock the pump.
Try pumping up the fuel using the hand pump in the engine bay on the filter housing, then crack off / loosen each injector pipe in turn while cranking the engine and getting an assistant to operate the primer. This will expel air from the injection side and the engine should fire up. The problem will be cured by checking the supply pipe along its length for signs of leakage and repairing any you find.

If you daub each pipe joint with heavy grease and the issue goes away then wipe the grease away one at a time to highlight the problem joint

Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.

do you still need help with this?