Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

The car is a Ford Focus C-Max 04.I probably left the door

Customer Question

The car is a Ford Focus C-Max 04. I probably left the door open a crack on Monday morning. I don't remember doing that but may have done. I had a lot happening at the time. Anyway, on Wednesday when I went to use it the battery wouldn't start the car. It made a funny noise. The dash lit up but after making the funny noise all sorts of warning messages came up. Then I saw the glove box was open and put 2 and 2 together. Someone had got in it. I opened the bonnet and the battery cover was off. So what I thought had happened was that I left the door open, someone got into it, then sprung the bonnet, then maybe tried to steal the battery or mess with it, but had failed. Didn't seem to be any damage. I get a friend over with a charger pack, we charged the battery for a half hour and it started first time. So it seemed no harm done. Today I go to use it and it won't even open with the fob. Dead as a dodo. No response to the key at all. Had to open the door with the key. So this seems more complicated. Any ideas what has happened here?

I guess what I really need to know is if I can do anything without taking it to a garage. As that could be tough now before school starts !

Category: Ford
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.

I'd 1st check that the main battery connections are on tightly and also measure battery voltage as it sounds like the battery is flat again to me

Also check that the alternator is actually charging the battery in the car by taking a battery voltage reading with the engine off then another with the engine running. The 2nd reading should be higher than the 1st and climbing steadily. And also check that the alternator is secure to the engine as this provides the ground for the charging circuit and make sure that the engine / gearbox earth strap is secure and the contacts are clean and bright.

if the alternator appears not to be working - take it to a electrical specialist and ask them to test it as sometimes you can replace just the diode pack and this will repair the alternator without requiring replacement

what can happen if the battery has been flattened right down this can damage them so its possible that the batteyr is no longer holding a charge and needs replacing ( something that has to be done every 5 years or so in any case)

Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience: BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Many thanks, ***** ***** helpful

Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.
glad to help