Robert
Robert, Ford Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

i have had a new oil cooler fitted and was told it had been

i have had a new oil cooler fitted and was told it had been flushed but there is still oil in the exspantion tank is this normal
Category: Ford
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hi.. Apologies for the delay

In a sense you "can" still have oil traces floating about still in the system.but it shouldn't be full of oil.or you shouldn't have oil level dropping again..if it still doing as it was before oil cooler change then someone made an error in diagnoses and could well be headgasket....sometimes it can be quite difficult to get all the old oil out the coolant system unless you replace the entire coolant system on the car..normally it can take upto alot of flush outs so to speak to get most or the majority of the oil that got in the system out - normally additives /cleaners such as "Forté Bio Degreaser" or even household dishwasher tabs into the system - you will need a few of them to flush the system.firstly remove thermostat itself and reinstall the housing - while flushing system let the engine circulate the water/detergent around the system - never allowing the engine to overheat and just keep draining off when the engines cool and refilling inc additive/detergent each time,repeat the process until is cleared out,although you will never get rid of it all,there will be still small traces..bear in mind oil can effect the rubber hoses over period of time and they will eventually deteriote and cause problems - thats why It is recommended to if at any point the cooler itself does go and contaminates the coolant system you do have to replace every rubber hose,then as above the heater matrix/radiator and the engine coolant passage ways/expansion tank etc till clear re flushed till clean as best you can get it..But like i say its a very time consuming job clearing all that out,so could be worth getting it done again id say....I do hope this helps

Robert, Ford Technician
Experience: Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK