Gallagher99
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience:  SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
17855046

have a focus tdi. very bad brake locking in the mornings like

Customer Question

have a focus tdi. very bad brake locking in the mornings like an explosion. also when brakes are used there's a sound like metal on metal which sometimes is very pronounced. had the brakes looked at by my ford garage and they found nothing brake pads ok.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 2 years ago.
Hi there good afternoon to you
Ok is the noise more a loud thudding noise when braking
Is this intermitent
Is the squeal noticeable more from cold
Regards Brian
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes the noise is intermittent not a thudding but like metal grating on metal

what in your opinion causes the locking of the brakes when the car has been left sitting overnight?

Hi there good morning to and sorry for the delay
Ok in my experience of this issue the fault is down to a brake shoe surface to drum surface contamination
To resolve the issue the rear brakes should be cleaned /de-glazed and the rear shoes adjusted properly
This is the first port of call and most common concern we resolve
If you need anymore help or advice on this issue please let me know
If you are completley satisfied with my answer /advice
PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER
Kind regards ***** ***** and have a nice day
Brian
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Brian,

I left the car in to ford for a cleaning as you suggested and it turned out that the brake pads were worn on the inside and had to be replaced. The mechanic hadn't noticed this a month ago when I'd taken the car in with the problem. The grating sound has gone and the brakes behave normally when the car is driving but in the morning there is still the locking of the brakes with a big bang as they are released by the engine.

Hi there good afternoon to you
Did they clean and adjust rear brakes when it was in as this is the cause of rear brake releasing hard
If the clean and adjustment doesn't resolve the issue which in every case I see on this model it does
It could be a sticking handbrake cable
Iam amazed they would t check the brake pads inner side on the intial check as this should be the first check as the font brakes do the most work
Regards ***** *****
Brian
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Brian

To be fair they gave me a reduction when they had to fit front brake pads on the second visit. £80. Did they check back brakes? They said so but there is still a vestige of metal on metal sound when i brake so my guess is no. Think I'll go to another garage since from what you say about the front brakes this was a pretty basic mistake.

Hi there good afternoon to you
Ok I doubt they have cleaned and adjusted the rear brakes if they have missed basic check like brake pads
I hope you have better luck at your change of garage
Kind regards ***** *****
Brian