sean
sean, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Master Technician.
31670004

Hello, I have a 2013 Ford Ranger 3.2 double cab Limited and

I have a 2013 Ford Ranger 3.2 double cab Limited and want to add a pair of rear facing LED work lamps
Q. where are the harness runs and how easy is this to do. Or should I take the truck to a Ford main dealer.
Many thanks.
Phil.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
Hello Phil,
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Shantal,

No I have not found an answer as yet that is why I contacted the "experts".

I thought that you had Ford experts in this field.

Phil.

Expert:  sean replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I'm sorry you haven't had an answer to your question, do you still need assistance? If so do you want the lights to only work with the vehicle lights or independently?
Let me know and I'll reply as soon as I'm able to.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Independently switched. Ignition off position so I can work in the rear cargo area.
Expert:  sean replied 2 years ago.
Hello again,
the wiring outside the vehicle comes through the floor of the cab at the back and then runs along the underside of the vehicle on the chassis as shown below.
graphic
The best way to wire the lights if you want them independent is to wire a switch direct to the 12 volt supply wire to the fuse box inside the van, use an inline fuse for the positive feed. Doing it this way means you only have one wire from the switch to the lights to put through the floor where the loom to the rear lights goes through.
Depending on the switch you use you may need a relay, if this is the case use the same permanent 12 volt feed to the fuse box, if you can get a decent switch capable of handling the current you won't need a relay making it even simpler to wire in but still make sure you fit an in line fuse. The lights can be earthed using their own mounting points.
The best place to put a switch is in the small trim panel just above the small drop down stowage panel by the driver's knee, the panel is clipped into place so just pulls off.
I hope this helps but if you need further information let me know and I'll reply as soon as I'm able to.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Many thanks for your reply. Are there any spare fuses in the fuse box also where is the fuse box located. Uk vehicle.
Expert:  sean replied 2 years ago.
Hello again,
the fuse box is on the right hand side, if you pull the small stowage box down I mentioned previously and release the top of it so it swings right down you'll see the fuse box. There are several fuses not used in the fuse box, 57, 58, 63, 64, 65 and 68 aren't used.
Usually I jut use a standard in line fuse holder rather than trying to use an existing fuse.
Best regards,
Sean.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok. Thanks Sean, I will have a go tomorrow if it ever stops raining here. Best regards Phil
Expert:  sean replied 2 years ago.
No problem, let me know if I can assist any further.
Best regards,
Sean.
sean, Ford Technician
Experience: Ford Master Technician.