Gallagher99
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience:  SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
17855046

I have a 58 Mondeo and it starts ok but when I put my foot

Customer Question

I have a 58 Mondeo and it starts ok but when I put my foot on the throttle it cuts out. this is a 1.8 diesel. Also a lot of wjite smoke comes out from the exhaust.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 1 year ago.
Hi there good afternoon to you
do you still need assistance with this issue
Regards Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I would still like help as I can't see your answer. Many thanks. Marc

Hi there and sorry for the delayed response
Ok does the vehicle actually drive or does it just cut out as soon as you try and Rev it
Does it not take a Rev at all
Is the smoke white and thick or more greyish
Regards ***** *****
Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It cuts out as soon as I try to rev it. The smoke is thick grayis

Hi there thanks
Ok the first thing to try is to dissconnect the EGR feed pipe at the rear of the engine bay (2x10mm bolts hold the EGR feed pipe into the inlet manifold lo
As a common Occurance is the EGR vakve sticking open causing the engine to choke itself with exhaust fumes
If you disconnect this pipe (ideally we blank it off with a plate made to the shape of the EGR gasket )
Dissconnecting it will allow you to see if the engine will Rev (smoke will emit from the dissconnected pipe
This should be the first thing ruled out
If you need anymore help or advice on this issue please let me know
If you are Completely satisfied with my answer /advice
PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER
Kind regards ***** ***** and have a nice evening
We can continue on this post
Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have tried what you have suggested and unfortunately there is no change in the problem, any other ideas ?

Hi there
Ok can you remove the oil cap and see if that makes a difference
Regards Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I've now tried that and it was hard to start so I had to put the cap back on track 1st.once it had started the Rev counter has now stopped and there is now throttle response.

Hi there
So the vehicle now has throttle response
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Only when I put the oil cap on and then it cuts out.

Hi there
Sorry iam bit confused here
The vehicle should still start with the oil cap off or just leave oil cap on and dissconnect the breather hose from the rocket cover
You said the vehicle now did Rev up. Is this correct ?
The reason behind the breather hose coming off is the turbo may have failed and this chokes the engine by over pressurising the crank case
Regards Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No it doesn't rev with the cap of there is no response at all when the cap is off.but when I put it back on it just cuts out again.the car won't start with the cap off.it also had a new turbo fitted last January.

Hi there thanks ***** assume it isn't showing engine malfunction on the dash display
Has a fault code check been carried out if so what codes were logged
Can you try disconnecting 1 injector multiplug at a time
As you will understand trying to diagnose these types of issue online can be more difficult to other issues
If it is thick Whitish smoke (smog ) this would indicate raw unburnt diesel being emitted from the exhaust
Ie injector issue
When you dissconnected the EGR vakve was there a lot of smoke at idle coming from the pipe
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I've unplugged each injector at a time and looking at the engine the 2nd on the right cut the engine out. No there are no codes that have shown and it's not showing a malfunction on the dash.

Can you Dissconect one injector at a time and start the car up to see if it will allow you to rev the vehicle
Can you also try dissconnecting the inlet hose to the inlet manifold AS sonething is Obivously choking the engine when you attempt. To rev it up
Did the EGR pipe when dissconnected emit alot of smoke
Regards Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have disconnected each injector at a time and tried what you have suggested and the car doesn't start at all. once all are connected again the car is very hard to start. I have also disconnected the inlet hose and that has made no difference.

Hi there thanks
Ok can I ask how this fault came about is did the vehicle break down or was it out of the blue
Regards Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

the car would idle ok but when I drove the car it would try and cut out, but only once during a trip. I then went to pop down the shop and the car started no problems then as I drove about 30 yards it just cut out, and then was very hard to start. this is when the car wouldn't respond to the throttle as it would just cut out.

Hi there , thanks
Has the fuel pressure been monitored when this happens as if there is s fuel restriction this would cause this
You can try by passing the fuel filter or running a feed and return straight to the fuel pump pipes with a small tank of diesel just to rule outthispossibke issue as these filters are very prone to blocking and should be changed every 37.5k
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have tried everything above and have still had no joy. Do you have any other idea's at all ?

Hi there good evening to you
Ok can you start the car and theRemive the breather hose from the rocker cover to see if excessive smoke is being emitted from this pipe as this would indicate ring failure
Also has the engine been using oil
Is this thick grey smoke eveident at idle
Has a compression test been carried out
Regards ***** *****
Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

There is no smoke coming from the pipe when I remove it. The engine hasn't been loosing any oil and the smoke is only evident when the car is cold. Ie when I just start it up and after about 5-10 minutes it's not so evident.

Hi there
Can you check if the turbo is spinning by removing the air intake hose from the turbo and looking at the impeller with engine running to ensure its sucking air in
To see if this makes any difference
Did you bypass the fuel filter
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have had a look at the turbo and yes it is turning. I have also bypass the fuel filter and if anything it is even worse now.

Hi there good evening to you
Ok I suspect this is a fuel metering issue as we have ruled out almost everything else
If the fuel Metering valve on the fuel pump isn't operating correctly then this won't allow high pressure fuel to the rail thus the vehicle will just stall a When you press the accelerator
You could try dissconnectiong the leak off pipes from the injectors and carry out a leak off test on a 4 minute idle to see how the injectors are performing as white smoke can be either water being burnt or raw diesel (overfuelling or injector issues )
If these are ok I think the fuel metering vakve must be suspected (this is part of the fuel pump )
Regards Brian