Gallagher99
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience:  SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
17855046

. 2003 Transit Connect. Vehicle shutting down when driving.

Customer Question

2003 Transit Connect. Vehicle shutting down when driving. Pull up and restarts fine. Shuts down agin. Turning off the engine seems to reset the problem until it happens again.
Approx 3 /4 times per day. Diagnostic checks show no faults recorded when in garage.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 2 years ago.
Hi there good evening to you
Ok does the glow plug light flash or does the vehicle just cut out completley
Was the diagnostic carried out using a small scanner
Regards Brian
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

glow plug light flashes then vehicle cuts out. Wehicle is exceptionally well maintained

Hi there thanks
Ok the most common and likely concern is an injector shorting out internally
This causes the exact concern you have described and allows immediate restart
Other issues that can cause similar issues on this year of connect is the camshaft sensor
Both these faults will leave fault codes
The fact the glow olug light has flashed means there WILL be a fault code/s logged in the pcm
Some smaller scanners or diagnostic equipment show no codes stored even when there is
The reason is the nature of the code may be manufactor specific so you need to have a better quality diagnostic equipment connected to retreive the correct faukt code
In my experience the injector fault is a very common one
If you need anymore help or advice on this issue please let me know
If you are Completely satisfied with my answer /advice
PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER
Kind regards ***** ***** and have a nice evening
Brian
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Brian

Thanks for your answer.

Sounds sensible to me.

Would it be better to change all the injectors? If so what would be an approximate cost (very roughly..top of your head) (not quoting)Garage that looks after my Vehicle has only minor diagnostic equipment as you suggested. (although he is very good and 'an old hat' would trust him with anything) Although i am not a mechanic and he was unable to identify this problem your answer seems straight forward.

Please explain ..If i am satisfied with your answer is the credit amount deducted from card straight away or do i have options to try your suggested remedies (which i would have both new parts anyway regardless) and then reply to your advice or help. (have not carried out this process before.)

Simon

Hi Simon thanks
Ok if it is the injector shorting out it would only be one of them (would bring a short/open circuit code up )
So I wouldn't be rushing to fit ANY parts until we have the correct fault code
As this can cost you unneeded time and money
The correct code is an imperative part of the diagnostics and saves s lot of time and money
I would like you to fit any parts ie an injector for us to find out it was ie a camshaft sensor fault
I pride myself on giving the best advice to my customers questions and being honest
And one injector is around £200 so you don't want to be guessing it might be
I think your card will already be charged with the amount you agreed but Iam only credited when a rating is given however the question does not close after you have rated me
We can continue our diagnosis /discussion further is if you posted back next week It would appear on this pist abd I would reply
Kind regards ***** *****
Brian
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Many thanks Brian for your honesty.

will advise my mechanic chappy/also very good friend. to take it in and have the better diagnostic. with the details you have advised.

Will inform you/website of the outcome.

Thank you very much

Simon

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Many thanks Brian for your honesty.

Will inform you/website of the outcome.

Thank you very much

Simon

Have rated the experience for you as excellent. Hope you get paid. Ha Ha

Hi Simon
I look forward to your reply and please don't hesitate to contact me if you need any further advice on this issue
As I said I cannot stress the importance of the correct fault code with these types of issue
Kind regards ***** ***** a nice evening
Brian