Gallagher99
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience:  SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
17855046

I have a Ford S-Max 2006 model. The right-hand indicator intermittently

I have a Ford S-Max 2006 model. The right-hand indicator intermittently does not work. I had a gargae check it out and they advised I change my battery. However, i still have the issue. Seems completely random. However, when I have the problem, the dipped headlights won't work either. Any thoughts on the cause?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 2 years ago.
Hi there good morning to you
Ok is it the full right hand side or just front one that doesn't work and also is it bothdippedbeamdthat don't work when this fault is present
Regards ***** *****
Brian
Hi there good morning to you
Ok is it the full right hand side or just front one that doesn't work and also is it both dipped beams that don't work when this fault is present
Regards ***** *****
Brian
I hope you will be completley satisfied with my answer /advice
PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER
As customer satisfaction is priority
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I can't hear any indicator switch sound (the indicator "click") when the problem happens and the dashboard light does not flick on and off. I have always assumed therefore that none of the lights flash on and off. I have never checked myself.

I don't get any dashboard response when I dip my beams and none of the lights dip.

Hi there thanks
Ok can you leave this with me and I will look through the various wiring diagrams to see where this issue may lie
Regards ***** ***** and thanks for your Patenice
Brian
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK, no problem.

Just one point of clarification. Whent he indicator stops working..it only affects the right-hand side of the car. The left hand side continues to work find.

It's the beam that does not work on both sides (as far as I can tell).

Rolf

Hi Rolf good afternoon to you
Ok I have been looking into this issue for you
And would like to confirm one thing you mentioned dipped beam ,did you mean main beam as dipped beam doesnt show on the cluster though main beam does (blue icon )
Regards Brian
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, the blue light. I call it the "brights" but whenever I say that people don't know what I'm talking about and say "you mean the dipped beam?" It's not the term I usually use.

So, I mean the extra lighting you switch on when you need to see further on dark roads. Someone just told me they call that "full beam".

The normal headlights always seem to work fine (so far)

Hi Rolf thanks
No worries I thought looking through the diagrams we may have got our wires crossed , not to worry
Ok the fault lies with the indicator stalk /switch assembly which houses the indicator command and main beam command (and voice button if fitted )
I have changed quite a few of these on the model for similar faults
These are not that hard to replace if you want yo fit it yourself
Just remove the top and bottom steering wheel shrouds /covers and then remove the 2x10 mm torx screws that hold the stalk -switch assembly in place then pull the stalk outward and remove the multiplug
If you need anymore help or advice on this issue Rolf please let me know
If you are Completely satisfied with my answer /advice
PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER
Kind regards ***** ***** and have a nice evening
Brian
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK, thanks. So, just for me to be clear:

So the part I ask for when I go to buy it is the

"indicator stalk & switch assembly"?

This is separate to the switch?...which I wouldn't need to replace if all of the above works out.

Correct?

Hi Rolf
Yes the part you want is the indicator stalk/switch assembly
The parts Man will know what you mean
The switch is Part of the indicator stalk and comes as one part
PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER
Brian
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience: SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE