Gallagher99
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience:  SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
17855046

Ford SMax 09 Registered 28000 miles On a very cold and frosty

Ford SMax 09 Registered 28000 miles
On a very cold and frosty night recently, I started my car and halfway out of the parking bay realised that my power steering had failed. With some difficulty and help managed to move the car to a safe place. Restarted the car. Steering fine. Drove about 2 miles. stopped to refuel. Started car. Power steering failed. Called Green Flag and when mechanic arrived steering OK. He checked alternator and plugged in his computer. All OK but found that fluid level was low. Topped this up. road tested car. All OK. Drove home without any problem. Booked car into my mechanic (not a Ford dealer) to check over steering. He found air in the system and corrected this. His computer showed no faults. Two days later the steering failed again! Once again OK on restarting, Mechanic checked car over again and found water in the connectors to power steering. Cleaned these out and waterproofed everything,
This morning steering failed again? OK on restart. Any advice please? My mechanic wonders if the whole unit needs replacing but in view of the very low mileage I wonder if a sensor or some electronic device has failed. I realise that intermitent electrical faults are difficult to trace but any advice would be appreciated,
Category: Ford
Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 2 years ago.
Hi there good afternoon to you and sorry for the delay
Ok if there has been water ingress is present into the EHPAS module (Electronic Hydraulic Power Assisted Steering )
Then the unit must be replaced as the water /moisture ingress will have tracked inside the unit causing internsl corrodion of the module
This is located in the drivers front bumper area under the drivers headlight
I have seen this issue a few times over the years snd in each case the EHPAS unit has been replaced to resolve the fault
This module also needs to be programmed to the vehicle
help or advice on this issue please let me know
If you are completley satisfied with my answer /advice
PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER
Kind regards ***** ***** and have a nice day
Brian
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** confirmed the advice already given. I was hoping that it was a software issue.

Hi there good evening to you
No worries
If you ever need any future help or technical advice with your S-Max please let me know
If you have been completely satisfied with my advice /answer PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER
Kind regards ***** ***** and have a nice evening
Brian