Gallagher99
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience:  SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
17855046

my elderly Ford KA - last night when I turned on the ignition

Hi my elderly Ford KA - last night when I turned on the ignition there was a fairly loud bang then it felt as if the car sank a bit on the drivers side. I got out to check the tyres as it felt as if something had punctured one - but they were all fine. I drove off carefully and although it felt OK there was definitely a strange noise - not a clunking - more a whirring if anything! I wondered if it could be a belt of some sort snapping?
Also my brake light has recently been coming on a lot for no obvious reason. Brake fluid has been checked.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 2 years ago.
Hi there good morning to you and sorry for the delayed response
Ok the fault will lie with a broken coil spring (common isdue on the KA
I would advise having this fixed ASAP as the spring is most likely rubbing off the wheel and could burst the side of the tyre if it slips
Regarding your brake fluid light there if the fluid is definatley ok (make sure the hand brake switch isn't the cause as this can flick the light on as can low brake fluid as these are common for sweating brake fluid from the pipe at the brake fluid resivoir so check this first
If the fluid is ok then the most likely fault is a faulty sensor on the brake fluid resivoir
These absorb moisture over the years and can cause this issue
If you need anymore help or advice on this issue please let me know
If you are Completely satisfied with my answer /advice
PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER
Kind regards ***** ***** and have a nice day
Brian