Gallagher99
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience:  SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
17855046

We have a 2005 1.6 petrol in the garage and the customer

We have a 2005 for focus 1.6 petrol in the garage and the customer complains of "engine system failure, acceleration reduced" coming on intermittently. We have driven it and experienced the same thing but also noticed the both clock needles rise to the top and the red l.e.d comes on. If you turn off the ignition and restart the light goes out and power returns to normal. I have carried out a diagnostic using our Autel Maxysis and the faults stored are in relation to loss of communication with instrument cluster. We sent the cluster off for test which came back ok but we asked them to replace the common problem which I'm told is something on the motherboard itself. We fitted the clocks today and reset any codes, road tested and after 9 miles the fault reappeared. Any help greatly appreciated
Category: Ford
Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 2 years ago.
Hi there , good evening to you
Ok your fault is caused by a loss of communication between the pcm and cluster
The fault can be the cluster , the pcm or the 2 CAN. Bus wires between them
from your description of the issue I would strongly suspect a faulty instrument cluster (I don't believe in sending these for repair as I have in the past only for it to be the route cause of the fault
This seems to be more common on the 1.6 petrol Varients for some reason
The instrument cluster is the gateway between the high and mid speed can bus communications systems (data network )
This can systems controls the various electronic control components of the vehicle
I have personally diagnosed many of these cluster issues with the exact same symptoms as yours
Customers think how can the cluster cause this issue because it's just a cluster but in reality the cluster is a complex module that exchanges high speed data with several other modules connected on the can bus system and is also the main Immobilsor compinent
The fault with these clusters seems to be an internal breakdown of the can bus system (connection issues on the circuit board )
In my experience of this fault I would definitely susupected an internal cluster fault
I always carry out a network test with the fault present to see if the cluster speaks to the diagnostic tester
We find the cluster doesn't communicate but the pcm does (this rules out all wiring between the dlc plug and pcm thus leaving the cluster as the only component left
If you need anymore help or advice on this issue please let me know
If you are completley satisfied with my answer /advice
PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER
Kind regards ***** ***** and have a nice evening
Any positive feedback or bonuses are greatly apperciated
Brian
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi brian, thanks for the swift response. What I don't understand is how the fault seems to clear after switching the ignition on and off. Can a second hand unit be fitted or will it need to be programmed?
Hi there ,good morning to you and sorry for the delayed response
Ok yes you can fit a secondhand cluster but it needs to be programmed in
The cluster is the main Immobilsor conponent therefore you need to have 2 keys avaiable to programme into the second hand cluster
It will then need to be paired (handshaked with the pcm )
This can be done using good quality diagnostic equipment ie - fords ids software
I have replaced many clusters over the years for this exact concern and seems to be more prone on the 1.6 petrols
Ideally I check if the cluster can communicate with the diagnostic equipment
As it normally fails the network test but speaks to the pcm indicating the Wiring is ok
If you are Completely satisfied with my answer /advice
PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER
Kind regards ***** ***** and have a nice day
Brian