sean
sean, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Master Technician.
31670004

I get 2 different engine tick over nose, one is a low growl

I get 2 different engine tick over nose, one is a low growl which comes and goes.is this an air con fault
Category: Ford
Expert:  sean replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I hope the following assists you.
By far the most common noise at idle on this engine is a noise caused by the alternator drive belt vibrating due to a worn tensioner and crankshaft pulley. If this is the case the noise usually changes as the A.C cuts in and out, when the compressor is engaged the noise becomes louder due to the extra load on the belt.
To replace the tensioner is a bit of a pain as the alternator needs to be removed, if you need to change the belt this requires tensioner removal anyway as the belt won't come from behind the tensioner when it is installed.
You can confirm if it is the belt by removing it from the crank pulley and running the engine, if the noise isn't there any more then this would confirm. To detension the belt requires a special tool as the access is very restricted and the spring loading on the belt is quite heavy.
I hope this helps but if you have further questions regarding this let me know and I'll reply as soon as I'm able to.
Best wishes,
Sean.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I havent used ac for ages, is there a compressor that operates the ac,is this driven via a pulley and could be source of the noise now and then and will it need attention very soon, i am not in a position to do work myself, can places like SMILEYS do the work on saturdays ?

Expert:  sean replied 2 years ago.
Hello again,
the A.C compressor is driven by the belt I mentioned, as I said originally if you turn the A.C on the noise tends to get worse due to the extra load on the belt.
If it is the belt that is making the noise then it won't need attention immediately but when it needs replacing it would be best practice to replace the spring loaded tensioner as well.
I'm unsure of Smileys doing this on a Saturday bust most garages tend to be open for 4 hours or so on Saturday mornings which is ample time to replace the belt and tensioner if required.
Let me know if I can advise further.
Best wishes,
Sean.