Gallagher99
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience:  SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
17855046

I have a 2008 C-max. Sunroof opens but difficult to shut as

I have a 2008 C-max. Sunroof opens but difficult to shut as switch only works one way, not the other. I can only close it by doing a complete one-way cycle and stopping at exactly the correct moment. Switch looks same as rear door window switch so I swapped it with sunroof switch. This made no difference. Can you help ?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 2 years ago.
Hi there good evening to you
Ok does the switch do anything when you press to close it
Regards Brian
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The two way switch only works one way. The other way does nothing at all. Press the same side of switch again and it closes and slides. Press again and it slide closed but does not stop at the closed position. Have to guess when to take finger off switch in order to close it fully without rain coming in !

Hi there thanks ***** have looked through the diagram and we wod need to carry out some tests using a volt/multimeter
As I susyect the sunroof motor/module may be the issue as this is something I have seen a few times
One side of the switch is for open and down
The other is for close and up
Regards ***** *****
Brian
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

How do I access module/motor ?

Is there any fuses or relays to check ?

I have a multimeter. What do I check ?

Hi there good morning to you and sorry for the delayed response
Ok you need to drop the interior light down using a flat thin screwdriver at the middle front insert it upwards and push the screwdriver towards the windscreen this will release the small metal licking clip
Next remove the 2 screws from the interior light housing this will drop down you will then see the module/motor
The wiring is as follows
The switch is powered 12 volts at pin 1 (green /black)
The switch is earthed at pin 4 (black )
The Down and open earth to the module leaves the switch at pin 3 to pin 9 of the module (black and white )
The up and close earth to the module at pin 2 to pin 8 of the module (black/blue )
The module itself is powered at pin 1 (and 7 )Orange /black )
The module is earthed at pin 10 (black )
So let's see if we have an earth at the module pin 8 (plugs connected is better )
If we do then the motor is faulty
Regards ***** *****
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have been out in the car today. Tried the sunroof. Would you believe it... it all worked as it should! Even though it hasn't worked for 3 months !

So I am going to leave it for a while. If the fault returns I shall try checking the connections you suggest. I know dodgy earth connections can cause intermittent faults. Can you tell me where these earth connections get their earth from ? i.e where do the earth wires connect to the car body?

Hi there ,good evening to you
Ok the Earth connection will be ok as the earth that supplies the switch is used for the open signal as well as the close signal so the Earth vonnection must be ok
It may be a loose connection at the motor is wiring too tight that you have may have been disturbed
I deal with these types of isdue every day and it can have you shaking your head in disbelief sonetimes
I would monitor the issue and see if it arises again the we can look further into this
If you need anymore help or advice on this issue please let me know
If you are Completely satisfied with my answer /advice
PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER
Kind regards ***** ***** and have a nice evening
You can contact me on this same post even after rating my advice
Brian
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience: SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE