Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have a 9-month old Ford Transit Custom. Three weeks ago,

I have a 9-month old Ford Transit Custom. Three weeks ago, while changing from 6th to 5th I lost the power steering for a moment. This quickly came back on but when I accelerated in 5th there were no revs, as if it was in neutral. I pressed the clutch and checked gear stick but it was definitely in fifth. Changed down to 4th and the engine revved again as if it was in neutral. This is a manual gearbox and I am flummoxed as to what could have happened. 100 yards later the power steering went entirely and I pulled off the road and switched the engine off. Switched it back on again and everything came back to life. I've had it at the local Ford garage but as suspected they can find nothing wrong with it, as it's only happened once in 8000 miles. Is there any way possible this could be explained?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.

I'd say this must be a clutch fault thats releasing its grip momentarily

I'd suggest trying bleeding the clutch so that all the fluid is replaced with fresh as its possible the slave cylinder is binding up

if this doesn't help then I'd say the next step is to remove the gearbox to inspect the clutch condition