Gallagher99
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience:  SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
17855046

, I have a one year old Fiesta(7,000m) with Start-Stop

Hello, I have a one year old Fiesta(7,000m) with Start-Stop function. Since new, this has worked less and less. Yesterday (one year Service) the Ford dealer staff somehow lost my Note of this malfunction. Then gave me some guff about it not working if the battery voltage is 10 to 15pc low. Obviously don't want to know. The place was a shambles; I was there for three hours in total. I reckon the fault is intermittent, electric/electronic(solid state). What do you think, please. Roger (I'm still seething)
Category: Ford
Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 1 year ago.
Hi there Roger good morning to you and Iam sorry to hear you are having this issue
Hopefully I will be able to resolve this for you
Ok I deal with all stop /start issues in my deslership so Iam comfortable with how these systems operate
The stop start system will only work when certain conditions are net is: engine warm /seat belt fastened ,drove above a certain speed and many other factors
These systems have a BMS(Battety Monitoring Sensor ) located on the negative post of the battery
This takes several factors into consideration is temperature /charging rate /distance of charge amongst others
It then carried out a calculation based on these results
This calculation is know as the battery SOC (State Of Charge ) and is received by the BCMii (body control module )
If the SOC is under 72% the stop start won't work it is that simple
In each case I have seen this has been the case
This SOC can be checked in your dealer in a few minutes using the ford ids /datalogger equipment
You will find yours will be under 72%
This does NOT indicate a battety fault or issue but rather a SOC issue
To resolve your issue roger the battery should be charged fully (for at least 4-5 hours on a slow deep charge ) while still connected so the BMS can see the charge
The the SOC should be rechecked after this and it is normally around 95% and the system operates as it should
I haven't had any vehicles return after doing this
If you need anymore help or advice on this issue Roger please let me know
If you are Completely satisfied with my answer /advice
PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER
Kind regards ***** ***** and have a nice day
Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The SS worked OK for many weeks. So, if the Ford guys do what you say, will that cure the fault long-term? (Reason for this delay in answering is the end part with faces/reply did not work). Regards

Hi Rodger sorry for the Reidy uam not receiving email notifications this morning
On this will resolve your stop start issue
What we find is vehiles SOC may fluctuate between 70-73% this causing it to work
This is the only issue we see on stop start systems
This isn't actually a fault more an inhibitor issue as it is all down to the vehicle using the battery as wisely as it can
PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER
Brian
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience: SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE