Gallagher99
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience:  SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
17855046

,fiesta zetec se '52 plate has just had head gasket done,new

Customer Question

hi,fiesta zetec se '52 plate has just had head gasket done,new timing kit etc,but will not start - have fuel,have spark,got compression,plug into computer and theres a code that says 96811 - no data wtf does this mean?please help!
Category: Ford
Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 2 years ago.
Hi there good afternoon to you
Ok does the immobilsor light flash rapidly when you try to start the vehicle or stay solid
Is this logged in the pcm /ECU
Regards Brian
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes it flashes i think

Hi thanks
As this padlock is the Immobilsor light that flashes on the dash
I also assume when the ignition is on its flashing rapidly (faster than normal )
When you put ignition on The light should come on solid for 3 seconds then go out this is the self test passing
If it starts flashing rapidly then this means you have an Immobilsor active issue
What to do is leave the light flashing rapidly for 1 minute then watch the light as it will emit a flash code ie: 1 Flash - PAUSE - 5 flashes = flash code 15
If you can check this code and let me know I can advise you further
Kind regards ***** *****
Brian
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

hi,tried the car this morning - on turning the key,the immobiliser light stays on for about 3 seconds and then goes off,only starts flashing again when remove the key

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

also,after i've tried to start it,on turning the key back again i hear the central locking noise unlocking doors!

the petrol guage is showing empty,with the light also on,however i know that there's 2 gallons in there and when key is turned,there is petrol going to enginer

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
the expert asked me to provide some extra info,but despite doing this,he has not responded to me at all for 2 or 3 days.as the money has left my account that i was charged,not a very good service really.
i still would like my query resolved.....
Hi there good morning to you sorry for delayed response I have only just picked up your response
Ok If the vehicle/engine turns over and you have compression/fuel and a spark the only thing left to check would be the valve timing
Has this been double checked
Regards Brian
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

hi,thanks for your reply - yes that's the thing - i concluded the same and i have had the timing checked 3 times and even bought another kit to make sure - the timing is as it should be.....do you know what "96811 no data" could mean?

Hi there good afternoon to you
Ok is this fault code logged in the pcm
I assume the vehicle turns over when you turn the key
Regards Brian
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes and yes,it turns over,just won't fire up

Hi there thanks
Ok if we have ruled out timing /spark/fuel and compression and this fault code keeps returning then you are looking at an Immobilsor Glich
the fault code P9681- PATS transceiver signal not received by the pcm
This would normally bring a rapidly flashing Immobilsor light on but in rare cases
I have seen cases where by all that was done was a Battety replacement rendered the vehicle immobilised(crank no fire)
If the transceiver is ok and wiring is ok which it will be then I would susoect sn Immobilsor Glich (as There is a reoccurring code)
This fault was resolved by updating the pcm/ECU software and then erasing the known keys and reprogramming the 2 keys and pairing the pcm and cluster to enable starting
This would make sense as this code keeps returning if there was a Immobilsor /software Glich it would cause this issue
Regards ***** *****
Brian
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Do you suggest I change the ecu then- if so what else needs to be changed so that it will work?
Hi there good evening to you
Ok you need to have a diagnostic carried out on the Immobilsor system ideally using fords ids software
I would start by erasing and recoding the keys then pairing the pcm to the cluster (Immobilsor synchronisation )
I wouldn't be replacing any parts before doing this
Regards ***** *****
Brian