Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Please the ABS, AWD and traction light comes up periodically

Please the ABS, AWD and traction light comes up periodically when I step on the break pedal. Especially when I am going through a bend with a creaky sound emanating from the break pedal and accelerator pedal. Please can you advise on the possible cause and how I can solve the problem?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.

If the ABS light is staying on then this would indicate a fault with the system which shouldn't effect the regular braking performance so the car is still safe to drive.

The quickest route to repair is to have the car plugged into a diagnostic machine which will read off the fault code stored in the ECU (providing the light is still on at this point) and indicate which sensor has failed or whether the fault is more serious.

However with ABS systems 99% of the time its a problem with one of the wheel speed sensors and I'd first check the connections at all four corners first for any signs of corrosion or chafed wiring.

The sensor is located in the wheel hub so you'll have to remove each wheel in turn to inspect them all.

Also check that the toothed wheel that the sensor points to is clean and free of any debris.

you can check each sensor's function by plugging the two output wires into an AC voltmeter and spinning the wheel quite quickly, you should get a voltage signal that increases with rev's.

Its possible that the fault is only a bad connection to one of the wheel sensors.

This may be remedied by removing each wheel in turn and unplugging each sensor and cleaning the contacts with a squirt of electrical contact cleaner. Then refitting.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The issue is that the light comes up occasionally and there is creaky sound that you hear first as soon as you engage the break followed by the ABS, spanner and traction lights all coming up at the same time. This happens occasionally especially when going through a bend.

Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.

in that cases its possible that there's a failing wheel bearing on the front thats producing a intermittant signal as well as the noise

I'd suggest jacking the car up so the wheel is off the ground and shake the tyre from top to bottom and from side to side (with someone holding the steering wheel). There should be no play in either direction.

Any play in 1 direction will usually require a suspension joint to be replaced, if there’s play in both directions then the wheel bearing may be at fault.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I did the scan as advised and the result verified the problem was with the right front wheel sensor. Should I replace it or what could be the cheapest option?

Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.
Hello Steve

check the connector to the sensor 1st for any corrosion if it looks OK and the wiring isn't damaged then yes repalce the sensor

don't forget to check the state of the wheel bearing also