Gallagher99
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience:  SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
17855046

I have a 1.6 ford focus (2006 reg mark 2) it has some

Hi I have a 1.6 ford focus (2006 reg mark 2) it has some problems where the power train light comes on (red cog with an explanation mark in it.). When that light is on and I change gear it takes about a second for the acceleration to kick in. Also sometimes when I am driving the dash lights go mental and all flash up and I lose all function from speedo, rev counter basically everything. It also sometimes doesn't start but If I leave it for 5 mins or so it then does. I have done some research online and have had the coil, leads and spark plugs done. Pic have also had the dash taken out and had it cleaned with silicone spray. But still it occurs. Could you help me please it's starting to drive me nuts thanks Anton mason
Category: Ford
Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 2 years ago.
Hi there good evening to you and sorry for the delayed response
Ok when this fault happens when your driving do you get ---- on dash display and also does the red light in the middle of the dash (Immobilsor light flash rapidly )
Regards ***** *****
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi yes it does, but it only happens for about 5 seconds and then it all goes back to normal apart from the power train lights still stays on.
Thanks Anton
Hi Anton ,again sorry for the delay
CAN BUS ISSUE CLUSTER
Hi there , good evening to you
Ok your fault is caused by a loss of communication between the pcm and cluster
The fault can be the cluster , the pcm or the 2 CAN. Bus wires between them
from your description of the issue I would strongly suspect a faulty instrument cluster (I don't believe in sending these for repair or cleaning them as I have in the past only for it to be the route cause of the fault
This seems to be more common on the earlier mk2 focus Varients for some reason
The instrument cluster is the gateway between the high and mid speed can bus communications systems (data network )
This can systems controls the various electronic control components of the vehicle
I have personally diagnosed many of these cluster issues with the exact same symptoms as yours
Customers think how can the cluster cause this issue because it's just a cluster but in reality the cluster is a complex module that exchanges high speed data with several other modules connected on the can bus system and is also the main Immobilsor compinent
The fault with these clusters seems to be an internal breakdown of the can bus system (connection issues on the circuit board )
In my experience of this fault I would definitely suspect an internal cluster fault
I always carry out a network test using the diagnostic equipment with the fault present to see if the cluster speaks to the diagnostic tester
We find the cluster doesn't communicate but the pcm does (this rules out all wiring between the dlc plug and pcm thus leaving the cluster as the only component left
As I mentioned I have replaced many of these clusters for the exact same issue
If you need anymore help or advice on this issue Anton please let me know
If you are completley satisfied with my answer /advice
PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER
Kind regards ***** ***** and have a nice evening
Any positive feedback or bonuses are greatly apperciated
Brian
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Okay so I would need a completely new dash board? Also where can I get these from and where can I get it plugged in to find out if there talking to each other? Thanks Anton
Hi Anton
Ok to replce the isdue you need to fit a new or second hand cluster
I wouldn't even worry about the modules check I mentioned as I have seen this so many times I used to go through s list of checks but now I just down the cluster in minutes from customers descriptions and visual look when the fault is present
The cluster is the main Immobilsor component on the focus meaning you will need to have the new it second hand one reprogrammed using diagnostic equipment (idealky fords ids software )
You will also need to have two avaiable keys to complete the programming of the cluster
Also your current mileage can only be written to the replacement cluster if it is higher than the one fitted again this is done usung diagnostic equipment
You cannot just plug these clusters in as the vehicle will not start
If you are Completely satisfied with my answer /advice
PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER
Brian
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Okay that's brilliant, I don't have two keys though, I have found a local company that deals with just instrument clusters, will it be best to give them a call and see what they say and just say I have had a ford technician diagnose the problem
Thanks Anton
Hi Anton
Ok if you are replacing the cluster you will need 2 avaiable keys to complete the programming
I have seen and heard of clusters being sent to cluster specialists who charge to repair them and then the fault returns thus the clusters thinks the fault lies elsewhere this leads to things being replaced which aren't needed as the custober thinks it's been repaired etc but my fault is still happening but really the cluster is the issue
It is up to yourself Anton as there would be no harm
In it if you want to phone them and see /discuss with them but I personally advise using my experience of this issue to fit a new one or good second hand one
PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER
Any positive feedback or bonuses are greatly appreciated
Brian