Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

My 1968 Ford Mustang with original power steering wants to

My 1968 Ford Mustang with original power steering wants to turn to the left when driven and requires considerable steering input to keep it straight. The tracking and wheel alignment is correct and the culprit seems to be the power steering control valve. I have checked that the self centering dimension is correct and now believe I need a new/replacement power steering control valve. What do you think please ??
Category: Ford
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.

from your description I think your diagnosis is acurrate
to confirm it I'd suggest jacking the car up so the front wheels are off the ground and then run the engine and see how the front wheels behave

if with no or only small steering input the wheels try to push left on their own then your'e right the valve needs replacing and I'd also drain all the fluid and replace with fresh as they usually fail / stick in place due to dirty or old fluid