sean, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Master Technician.

Fitting a gearbox on 07 smax got a replacement one from

Customer Question

hi fitting a gearbox on 07 smax got a replacement one from a 67k mondeo which is the same but gear linkage is different is there an easy solution or would I have to strip gearbox to remedy this?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Need to know if anyone has fitted a gearbox that came of a mondeo into ford smax and is it possible to use existing mondeo linkage without any problems occurring when installed.

Both gearboxes have same part numbers but linkage is different or is it possible to swap smax linkage onto mondeo gearbox?

Expert:  sean replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I hope I can be of assistance.Do you have the VIN or registration numbers of either car? Which part of the linkage is different on the gear box, the 2 levers where the cables connect to?Let me know and I'll reply as soon as I'm able to.Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

My vehicle reg is N55 EEE (2007) can provide vin if needed donor car is 2008 mondeo no info on that only as previously mentioned part numbers are the same on both boxes.

Linkages are not interchangable without stripping gearbox to modify.

Mechanic needs to know if existing linkage on mondeo box to be fitted would be compatable without any hitches?

I can provide pictures of both gearboxes if required

Expert:  sean replied 1 year ago.
Hello again.
If you can post images of the transmission this would hep. Can you give the chassis number of the S-Max? Private plates don't go into Etis unless the car was registered new with the plate. Have you got the gearbox part numbers? A picture of each ID tag on the gearboxes would be ideal.
Expert:  sean replied 1 year ago.
Hello again.
I've looked into this further, on the MMT6 transmission for the Mondeo there are 2 different gear selector mechanisms, these changed in 2009, neither of the selector mechanisms are the same externally as the S-max.
The only thing that can be done is to remove the selector mechanism from the top of the transmission (4 bolts) and compare the mechanism where it engages with the selector forks if the dimensions or profile of the lever that engages with the forks is different then the transmission needs to be stripped to swap the forks.
If the cables for the selector will connect to the Mondeo transmission (make sure the ball diameter is the same) then there is no reason why the Mondeo transmission can't be used, the cables may need adjusting though after fitting.
Let me know if I can advise further.
Best regards,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Sean many apologies for delay in replying obviously my mechanic is erring on the side of caution he says everything seems to fit in place drive shafts etc his concern is the different linkage as he does not want to fit only to remove again he just needs assurance that he can proceed and only problem will be adjusting cables as you mentioned.

If you can provide me with an email address I will send pictures of the 2 gearboxes

This site makes it complex to upload files

Thanks again

Expert:  sean replied 1 year ago.
Hello again.
Sorry we can't give personal information out, there's no real need for the images now as I've seen the different linkages.
If he hasn't removed the selector mechanism and checked it he can still do this with the transmission in place should he need to.
From the images I have the cables appear to connect the same way regardless of the gear change selector. I believe the selectors were changed for vibration and noise purposes rather than anything else.
Let me know if I can advise further.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Sean sorry to bother you again I have decided to get proper smax box to save any messing around with linkage on mondeo box.

My question now is would gearbox from 2010 smax be compatable with my 2007 model bearing in mind they were facelifted in 2009

Expert:  sean replied 1 year ago.
Hello again.There should be no problem with fitting an S-max transmission, for some reason the linkage stayed the same on the S-max however bear in mind the transmission final drive ratio as there are 5. If possible check the VIN plate of both cars the 4th up on the is the ratio code so check these match, the 6 speed MMT6 has the same regardless though.Best regards,Sean.