sean
sean, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Master Technician.
31670004

The timing belt has just gone on my ford mondeo 1.8tdci

Customer Question

hi
the timing belt has just gone on my ford mondeo 1.8tdci engine code QYBA 2009. i have been looking around and am finding it had to find a replacement engine. i have come across and ford focus engine 1.8tdci however the code is KKDA. what i pick up, and i have to say i know nothing at all about car engines, is that the only difference is that there is a timing chain not a belt on the KKDA.
what i need to know is are the two engines easily interchaangable?
Category: Ford
Expert:  sean replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I hope the following assists you.
The KKDA Focus engine is a 115 PS engine and the Mondeo QYBA is a 125 PS engine. The difference in power output is down to the engine management the basic engine is the same both having a bore diameter of 82.5 mm, a stroke of 82 mm and a compression ratio of 17:1.
If you are fitting the Focus engine complete with the fuel pump and injectors then there is no problem. If you need to fit the pump from the Mondeo to the Focus engine then the pump will fit but the pump hub from the chain engine will need to be used.
Ford only supply engines with the belt in oil system now and any early engine with a chain can be replaced by the newer engine by simply removing the fuel pump hub so the opposite in your case just means using the hub, as I say if the engine already has a pump then there is no problem.
I hope this answers your question but if you need further advise let me know and I'll reply as soon as I'm able to.
Best wishes,
Sean.