Gallagher99
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience:  SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
17855046

Brian, we have a 2007 1.8 Ford Focus in the garage with

Customer Question

Hi Brian, we have a 2007 1.8 Ford Focus in the garage with the timing chain engine fitted. It came in for a misfire which ended up being down on compression on cylinder 4. We removed the head and found a burnt out valve. This was replaced, new head gasket etc and rebuilt. The car started perfect and was road rested which was successful. The car was parked up for 2 weeks as it was for sale. It was taken for mot but was aborted due to the engine excessively smoking. We brought the vehicle back and checked but are pulling our hair out as to why this has happened. The smoke looks white and not blue which would indicate coolant burning but it's not loosing water, however there is a smell of oil in the smoke. Is it possible something had been disturbed when taking off the inlet manifold which may be contributing, I'm not ready to write the engine off yet as its only covered 80k. As always any advice is much appreciated.
Kayne
Category: Ford
Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 1 year ago.
Hi there kayne ,good morning to you I see this question hast been answered as of yet do you still need assistance with this issue
Regards ***** *****
Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Brian, this is a new question and I haven't received an answer yet.
Hi kayne no worries
Ok is the engine misfiring when smoking
Does the smoke disperse or is it there constantly
Is there any back pressure evening with breather pipe or oil filler cap removed from rocker cover
Regards Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No misfire, very dense smoke constant when reving, I've not checked pressure through the filler cap yet. Is it possible a breather is blocked?
Hi kayne
Ok I would run through a few things firstly
The first thing to do is blank the EGR valve off just to completely rule it out
Just remove the 2x10 mm bolts on the inlet manifold and fit a blanking plate where the gasket should be this times this out
Next would be to check for excessive back pressure in case there a ring issue or turbo issue which is choking the engine with back pressure
Then neatly have we got an injector issue on the affected cylinder 4 as overfuelling can cause this type of smoke as whit/grey dense smoke is any product of raw unburnt diesel so dissconnect the injector to see if the anime starts to disperse
Kind Regards ***** *****
Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry Brian I forgot to mention this car is petrol with engine code qqdb
Hi Kayne
Ok in this case I would be checking for back pressure firstly out of the car case breather or oil cap as this symptom would indicate a ring issue
Regards Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok Brian I'll get this checked and get back to you.
No worries kayne
Kind regards ***** *****
Brian