Gallagher99
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience:  SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
17855046

My e reg ford focus hatchback has developed minor knocking

Customer Question

my e reg ford focus hatchback has developed minor knocking from the front nearside wheel it also gives a groan when I turn, but the steering is still ok.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 2 years ago.
Hi there good afternoon to you and sorry for the delayed response
Ok is this knock a rotational knock or is it when going over rough roads
Is the groaning noise only eveident when turning steering or is it there ie 40 mph
Also what year /Reg of focus do you have
Kind regards ***** *****
Brian
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

hello my friend. there is no knocking at all whilst driving at any speed, it only happens when I turn into and out of a corner, driving forward is normal. the car is a E REG. hatchback reg. number, EJ51 LHY. cheers Brian.

Hi there thanks
Ok is the groan from the steering or from the vehicle when driving ie up to speedo or is this only there on full lock steering
the knocking more a ping noise on harder locks
Regards Brian
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

the knocking comes only from the front wheel area at almost full lock when turning into the corners. it seems like a softish grumble as I turn into a corner and disappears when I straighten up, it only happens from the nearside front wheel.

Hi there thanks
Ok from your description of your noises I would susoect a faulty passengers side front wheel bearing
The wheel needs to jacked up and checked for any free play or roughness /tightness of the wheel bearing
It's more common for wheel bearings to start on older vehicles due to wear and tear overtime
If you need anymore help or advice on this issue please let me know
If you are Completely satisfied with my answer /advice
PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER
Kind regards ***** ***** and have a nice day
Brian
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

the wheel has been lifted off the ground and there is no movement at all, the wheel spins freely and there is no grinding nor any other noises , I have just been in touch with the last owner , they told me both front wheels had new bearings 13 months ago.

Hi there thanks
If the wheel bearings have been replaced they can be ruled out however if the drive flange stub is worn this can wheel bearing to slip on the stub under load
I would the. Inspect the coil spring condition around the full length of the spring
Other things to check are ensure the brake pads are nice and free on the carrier as this can cause this type of issue
Brake pad knock
If the stub and pads have been ruled out the. The passengers side outer cv joint should be inspected for any tight spots
Kind regards ***** *****
Brian
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thank you, ***** ***** need 24hrs. to check your latest advice, can I get back to you tomorrow. just one point I have just noticed that the tyre has worn a lot more than the rest, very evenly I must point out, all tyres were fitted at the same time.