Gallagher99
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience:  SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
17855046

I am considering buying s-max but I heard it got a problem

Hi I am considering buying s-max but I heard it got a problem with morning starting. how common and serious is it?
Ilan
Category: Ford
Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 2 years ago.
Hi there Ilan ,good afternoon to you and sorry for the delayed response
Ok what year of s-max and what engine size are you thinking of purchasing
Also what is the mileage
Is the starting concern you speak of rough running or is is a continued crank no fire
Regards Brian
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

My enquiry is not about a specific car it's about the s max model in general . My friend that own one has been told by the garage that his problem with morning starting is typical to the s-max. I looked on the net and it seems that a few s-max owners are familiar with this specific problem. I assume you know about it too. my question is how common and how serious is this morning starting fault.

Hi there thanks ***** assume you are meaning the intermitent crank no fire or hard starting on the s-max 2.0 tdci
This is caused by a sticking butterfly inside the throttle body housing
When the engine is shut off a vacuum is applied to this flap to stop any engine run on (stops sir getting into the engine on shut down )
After 5-10 seconds the vacuum disperses and the flap flicks back open ready for next start up
What we see happening is the flap sticks in the closed postion causing no air to enter the engine thus no start
After several cranks the vibrations of the engine usalky flip the flap open
The throttle body's are around £230
Other issues regarding morning starting issues are coked up injector tips this causes difficult starting and then when the engine starts it runs rough for a few minutes
To resolve this issue you need to put a special additive into the fuel tank and leave to idle for an hour to clean off any debris on the injector tip ,
Overall the s-max is a good reliable car which drives superbly
If you need anymore help or advice on this issue please let me know
If you are Completely satisfied with my answer /advice
PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER
Kind regards ***** ***** and have a nice day
Brian
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Brian

Thank you for your answer . I understand more about the problem now, but I still not sure if I want to go a head and buy an s-max. Is this fault occur in most s max or just in few? is replacing the throttle body sorts out the problem or is it likely to reoccur? I know it's a great car and finally I can afford one but the last thing I want is to get stress in the mornings when I need to get to work and the car won't start . Any more reassurance? Thank you for your time hopefully that's my last question

Ilan

Hi Iian
This issue was only common on the earlier 2.0tdci ie 58-59plates
It doesn't happen on every one its unfortunately just one of these issues that appeared and has personally to start with caused me a lot of time until we figured out exactly what was causing the issue
The new throttle body and ones fitted in later production has a smaller butterfly with different plastic materials used
If you need anymore help or advice on this issue Ilan please let me know
PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER
Kind regards ***** ***** and have a nice evening
Brian