Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

The power stearing pump failed on my ford fiesta 1.2 LX 02,

The power stearing pump failed on my ford fiesta 1.2 LX 02, had it changed ,drives fine and stears well when driving, but when it comes to parking, it is very stiff and have trouble turning the wheel, but when you rev slighty it tends to looses the tension and I can't find any one to find the problem, any ideas?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.

I'd suggest replacing the drive belt for the pump as the 1st thing to try
and if that doesn't help then I'd consider replacing the fluid completly if this hasn't already been done

also was the pump replaced with a new item ? as they do wear out so a 2nd hand part may not be effective
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your reply, Yes it was a 2nd hand pump as I couldn't afford a new one, not flushed through yet,that would have probably been the next thing, but my other half didn't think of the belt, will try that too, apart from that the car drives well. Many thanks again. Jan.